rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse.
Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 812

A friend of mine has an LPG Mondeo on his drive that hasn't moved in a few years. He's now looking to dispose of the car but the LPG tank is full.

Is it possible to transfer the LPG from his tank to mine?

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1359

Even if you had the appropriate double ended hose, you'd only be able to equalise the pressure.
Not practical, I'm afraid.

You might be able to take his tank out and run your car from it, but it's a hell of a bodge for £30 of gas.

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 3286

You need a suitable pump, sorry.

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2017
Posts: 454

Morat wrote:

Even if you had the appropriate double ended hose, you'd only be able to equalise the pressure.
Not practical, I'm afraid.

You might be able to take his tank out and run your car from it, but it's a hell of a bodge for £30 of gas.

You might find it difficult to get rid of the car without first removing the tank. My local scrapyard doesn't like taking them with it in the car still. Places will do, but easiest bet is to use it up somehow. What kind of tank is it (Size?)

Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 812

Morat wrote:

Even if you had the appropriate double ended hose, you'd only be able to equalise the pressure.
Not practical, I'm afraid.

You might be able to take his tank out and run your car from it, but it's a hell of a bodge for £30 of gas.

So, if we had the correct hose (which we don't) the best we could hope for is 50% of the gas if my tank started as empty as possible and was that same size?

I hadn't even thought about it not being worth while due to cost!

Gilbertd wrote:

You need a suitable pump, sorry.

I guess those aren't worth buying for a one off job.

BrianH wrote:

You might find it difficult to get rid of the car without first removing the tank. My local scrapyard doesn't like taking them with it in the car still. Places will do, but easiest bet is to use it up somehow. What kind of tank is it (Size?)

I've since learned that the tank has already been removed and is in his shed. It's a 70l cylinder tank that sat behind the rear seats. He says it's showing no signs of rust.

He's in Sutton Bridge if anyone else is interested or can make use of it.

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2017
Posts: 454

RutlandRover wrote:

Morat wrote:

Even if you had the appropriate double ended hose, you'd only be able to equalise the pressure.
Not practical, I'm afraid.

You might be able to take his tank out and run your car from it, but it's a hell of a bodge for £30 of gas.

So, if we had the correct hose (which we don't) the best we could hope for is 50% of the gas if my tank started as empty as possible and was that same size?

I hadn't even thought about it not being worth while due to cost!

Gilbertd wrote:

You need a suitable pump, sorry.

I guess those aren't worth buying for a one off job.

BrianH wrote:

You might find it difficult to get rid of the car without first removing the tank. My local scrapyard doesn't like taking them with it in the car still. Places will do, but easiest bet is to use it up somehow. What kind of tank is it (Size?)

I've since learned that the tank has already been removed and is in his shed. It's a 70l cylinder tank that sat behind the rear seats. He says it's showing no signs of rust.

He's in Sutton Bridge if anyone else is interested or can make use of it.

Tinleytech list a pump, if you want to see a price.

I dont think you'd get even 50% out of it. You'd equalise pressure but not necessarily the level of liquid without raising pressure in the donor tank.

If its in date you might get someone to take it though.

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 3286

Don't forget there's a non-return valve on your tank inlet so you would need to overcome the spring pressure on that before anything would start to move. Liquid would go from one tank to the other but as soon as the pressures equalise (once you've got a dribble of liquid in your tank) then nothing more would flow unless you could raise the pressure in the tank you are trying to get the gas out of. Heating it up will raise the pressure but it isn't such a good idea......

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2017
Posts: 454

For reference - I was on my phone earlier so couldn't easily paste a link
https://tinleytech.co.uk/shop/lpg-parts/hand-pump-for-lpg-mk-1/

Hand Pump for LPG (Mk 1)
£165.75 (Excluding VAT at 20%)

It only connects to hose tails as well, so you'd have to alter the pluming temporally as well (outlet from the donor tank, to the filler on the receiving tank).