rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse.
Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 857

Our club hosted a 4x4 Promotional Event today, open to owners of any 4x4.

Once it quieted down I went out on my own and took a video of the route. I stuck to the yellow flag route that was a bit less severe than the blue flag route. There's a very heavily modified Suzuki (Jimny, I think) in the video doing the blue route. There's also a red Vitara and how it came away with no damage I don't know. I guided a silver Vitara around earlier in the day (exactly the same as the red one) and it was grounding out all over the place on the route I take in the video.

If I had my knobbly tyres on I'd have tried some of the blue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WbhUDpnvHo&t=1s

enter image description here

We had the editor of LRO in attendance too. He took a good few photos and is doing an article in an upcoming issue. There's a few photos and another video on their Facebook page.

Member
Joined: Mar 26 2016
Posts: 296

Looks like fun! Stainby isn't that far from me :o(

Member
Joined: Mar 22 2016
Posts: 1097

Somehow I don’t see you taking yours off-road, lol,, it’s always fun to go and watch them fighting to get round the courses,

Member
Joined: Mar 22 2016
Posts: 1097

The guy in the Vitara was a bit throttle happy, I reckon even with road tyres you would of got round the blue course, watching the video reminds me of going to Marty’s workshop, lol

Member
Joined: Mar 26 2016
Posts: 296

no10chris wrote:

Somehow I don’t see you taking yours off-road, lol,, it’s always fun to go and watch them fighting to get round the courses,

Gobsmacked lolol

Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 857

no10chris wrote:

I reckon even with road tyres you would of got round the blue course, watching the video reminds me of going to Marty’s workshop, lol

I did manage to find myself on a blue bit. I was too busy chatting to my passenger and didn't pay attention to the flags. Found myself in the blue section, thought "that doesn't look so bad, I've done worse" and went for it. I got completely beached and needed to be recovered lol.

It doesn't really come across very well on video but the yellow course was quite a bit worse than the road to Marty's :P

The slopes in particular look a lot less severe in the video.

On Sunday we had these running round: https://youtu.be/-nu3oSGLIuM

Member
Joined: Apr 23 2019
Posts: 79

Fun vid of the triallers

Member
avatar
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 3395

I thought it looked easy enough but then realised that you never get the full impact of slopes on a video. This one, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHRvD7H0AcQ of the track up to my mates place in France looks quite simple, just a bit narrow with a couple of tight turns. But it rises almost 2,000 feet from bottom to top (and I had a 3 tonne cargo trailer on the back when that video was shot) so is far steeper than it looks.

When's the next one David, can we all come along and have a go?

Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 857

We might do another open promo day next year but we have an RTV trial next month for club members. That's in Uppingham.

Membership is £21 per year and gives you ALRC membership as well as membership with us. As an ALRC member you can attend any event held by any ALRC club in the country. Or, if you're already a member of an ALRC club, you can attend our events anyway.

This is our website with event details and membership details: www.lrlrc.co.uk

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1424

I think we need to investigate this as a club/forum!
Also, my Father in Law lives in Rutland so I could kill two birds :)

Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 857

If anyone is reasonably local we meet at The Royal Oak in Cossington on the first Wednesday of every month from about 7:30 but some people turn up early and have dinner there.

Morat wrote:

I think we need to investigate this as a club/forum!
Also, my Father in Law lives in Rutland so I could kill two birds :)

Whereabouts in Rutland? I used to live in Uppingham.

Member
Joined: Mar 22 2016
Posts: 1097

OldShep56 wrote:

no10chris wrote:

Somehow I don’t see you taking yours off-road, lol,, it’s always fun to go and watch them fighting to get round the courses,

Gobsmacked lolol

your tdv8 is far to nice to get that dirty,,

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1424

RutlandRover wrote:

If anyone is reasonably local we meet at The Royal Oak in Cossington on the first Wednesday of every month from about 7:30 but some people turn up early and have dinner there.

Morat wrote:

I think we need to investigate this as a club/forum!
Also, my Father in Law lives in Rutland so I could kill two birds :)

Whereabouts in Rutland? I used to live in Uppingham.
He lives in Exton, I'm not sure what the village purity committee would think of muddy 4x4s :)

Member
Joined: Mar 26 2016
Posts: 296

no10chris wrote:

OldShep56 wrote:

no10chris wrote:

Somehow I don’t see you taking yours off-road, lol,, it’s always fun to go and watch them fighting to get round the courses,

Gobsmacked lolol

your tdv8 is far to nice to get that dirty,,

I dunno ............. I took her over Mont Blanc in December and back over the Brenner Pass in January!! Plenty of bloody snow about each way. I had it washed down in Sicily and the young lad doing it took an hour as he was drooling over it so much. They tend to have the V6s down there and V8s are rare.

Member
Joined: Mar 26 2016
Posts: 296

enter image description here

Just been washed

Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 857

Morat wrote:

He lives in Exton, I'm not sure what the village purity committee would think of muddy 4x4s :)

The people of Tixxover aren't too keen on them either. There's a pay and play site there that the Peterborough show uses each September. They have to warn people not to drive through Tixover itself to get there as it upsets the people that live there.