rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi, I would like to ask the experienced heads who know about the door handles on the P38 a question that doesn't come up on the really good thread posted by Orangebean.

Is it possible to modify a drivers' side front outer door handle from a LHD car to suit a RHD car ?

I am considering buying new handles as mine are quite worn in colour, and the two front handles are quite clunky and not fully closing. I was thinking about taking them out and repainting them with Rust-Oleum Hard Hat gloss black, and fitting repair kits to fix the handle return issue.

However, I thought that it may be quicker and easier to just buy new handles and fit them instead. I know that the passenger door handles, and the passenger front door handles, are all available but the drivers' side handle is no longer available new.

But - I have been offered a new, LHD car drivers' side door handle. So, I wonder whether it is possible to take off the left hand drive fittings and fit the old fitting, with a repair kit, STC3064 and the key barrel, and refit to the car thereby giving me a new door handle.

Pierre3.

Yes, as far as I know, it is possible - you just remove the cam etc on there that it's on as LHD and replace it with a RHD version - the casting of the metalwork has the posts for both LH and RH cam kits - you'd just fit the one you need.

You'd want to remove the new key barrel though and put your one in - which required either drilling out the roll pin, or cutting the tab off the key barrel so you can get it out and swap over with your original one.

Going to that extreme - you'd be just as well off putting a new cam kit and painting your original handle.

Hi Marty, thanks for your advice. I was thinking the same thing, that it would be a bit messy. The guy that offered me the new handle wants about £75 but then I still have to buy a repair kit, and then take the both handles apart and rebuild one.

I had written that I had thought about buying a set of 4 used handles and fitting repair kits but then I re-read your post where you mention that the cam pin would have to be changed over before changing the lock barrel. So it looks like I need to do a job on my existing handles.

Pierre3.