rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I'm Gordon, I chucked this thing up after a bit of discussion with a couple of other UK-based RR owners.
I've got an R-reg P38 (see, we can say "R-reg" here) with a GEMS 4.0 running on LPG. That's actually it in the banner picture (note to future gordonjcp - when the picture changes edit this) when I was out playing at the Cambusbarron military driving area.

Let me know if there's anything you'd like to see on here. Keep it friendly, don't be a dick, in fact act like you would in your local, or your mate's garage.

I've found a bug in the forum software - if you enter any "foreign" characters, then it will drop its guts spectacularly. Gilbertd has already broken it a few times by typing a pound sign in a post :-D

So - no pounds, accented characters or other unicode tomfoolery for now, okay?

Well you did say to have a play and see if I could break it.

Didn't expect it to be that easy though......

I also found that at least on the mobile site, a couple of times I've gone to type a quick reply, then it throws an error. If I hit the blue reply button first and then wrote the reply, then it works..

Also the avatar line in the profile doesn't seem to do anything. I tried entering a Web link to an image and hit save and it sat there for awhile and then threw up an error.

One thing that would be a nice feature in the future is if it can notify to email when there has been a reply... I've set some of the threads to 'tracked' but doesn't seem to do anything much..

Other than that it seems to be working pretty well for me and is a lot faster to use on my phone/mobile site than the 'other' forum

Marty

You're doing well Marty, I haven't found the Profile bit yet, hence no info or signature. Where is it?

Click on the little "down arrow" beside your name at the top, and you'll see a Settings option.

Sorted! Now how do I make the text smaller?

Not sure, which text? Which browser are you using? I think the text sizes in the forum default theme are a bit all over the place, myself.

The text on the signature, it's the same size as the message text. I'm using Firefox if that makes a difference.

can't get that "x"reg system in my head....... have looked it up once, but forgot allready how it worked.... sorry, not a UK resident, still no clue what you guys mean by "x"-reg.... so don't mind me asking about the modelyear (which is anyway more important than the first registration)

How did you get the text in your signature to go in single lines Gordon? I tried doing that and couldn't get it to do it without making it a list that put the bullet points in...

I am a bit with Roger on the registration system for identifying model year, mostly as I literally come from a 'land down under' and it confuses me at times too.

I usually just google it when someone puts up a letter, to figure it out - but don't be offended if I occasionally ask for clarification!!!!

Gilbertd - that's a theming issue, I'm going to tweak how things look a bit in the next few days

Martyuk - all the text boxes take HTML tags (or at least a limited subset of them) as well as normal markdown formatting. If you put two blank lines you get something like:

A bit of text on a line

A bit of text on the next line with a gap

but if you want to have a line break without the gap you'd do:

A bit of text on a line<br/>
A bit of text on a line without a gap

and get how you see it in my signature.

Ahhh, brilliant.

I wondered how much in the way of html code it would accept.... will be able to mess about with that now too :)

And now it accepts unicode as well so you can talk about brake pads being £10 and sticking a 2200μF capacitor across the power rails to smooth noise out of the radio and stuff without it crashing.

BBcode allso a possibility?? I am not realy familliar with HTML.... very used to the "normal" forumsoftware using BBcode for image and url tags etc...

I believe it accepts BB code aswell - at least some of it.

It uses markdown rather than BBcode, but I'll look into it. It's fairly easy to get your head around Markdown.

I'm going to stick together a more comprehensive set of instructions. One thing to bear in mind is that the forum hasn't got a way to upload pictures (yet), but you can whang in a link to imgur or something similar.

It's been pointed out that the member list looks pretty damn weird, and there are a few other odd bugs like it tries to pop up a list of emoticons that there aren't any graphics for. It would be nice to be able to make a couple of people into mods or admins without nuking their passwords, too. Oh, and emailing from the topic notifier.

I was going to push an update this weekend but I've been poking about at cars, sticking the swivels back on my mate's S3 mostly.

The forum software is a bit like our beloved Range Rovers - it mostly works but there are odd bits that go boing or "beepbeepbeep" periodically ;-)

gordonjcp wrote:

It's been pointed out that the member list looks pretty damn weird,

Too right it does, I'm not a member any more. Have I been banned from another Range Rover forum already?

You show up as a member when I look Richard, but it doesn't show myself...

So looks like it shows all 'other' members other than you if you are logged in.

It looks a bit strange to me, but just gives a list of names, and a member number - even though there isn't any real order to it.