Marty's install looks very neat! And I agree, the dash install looks great, the screen looks perfect size :)
So my camera finally arrived and I started playing around with it, it is a metal cased one, with a fixed angle, no bracket that can be adjusted like the other typical style.
After a lot of holding it in various positions and deciding how to mount it, I decided to go for the tailgate handle, but mounted off centre, to the side, so that there is still an area to grab without hitting the camera and getting finger prints on it all the time. When testing it, it's hardly noticeable that it's off centre on the image view.
Originally I wanted it fully hidden, however decided I could mount it far easier and neater if it was visible. Especially on a black car, it blends in fairly well and I feel like I've seen factory cameras more visible on some cars.
With a little work, a touch of sanding with a dremel and a good blob of araldite I fitted it how I wanted. Then gave the camera a coat of satin black (it was scratched on arrival, thanks to the poor packaging) and then a coat of matt black for the araldite, to blend that in with the plastic trim. Wiring runs around the upper tailgate (where the brake light cable runs), through the rubber to the headlining, then powered from the secondary towing plug wiring, behind the little panel on the side where the sub would be if I had one, video continues down the side of the car under the trim to the dash.
It covers the towbar just how I wanted and gives a downwards view, so I can better gauge how close I am to whatever is behind me. I have been wiring it up to a switch in the ashtray area, so I have a toggle between the old and new camera, between the 2 views, I am happy it covers my needs of either general view or if required a better view to judge distance and towbar alignment.
Photos of the camera:
These remind me I need to take the plate off and polish out all the scratches around it...
I'll take a photo of the view it covers shortly, once I've finished tidying up the wiring to the switch and it's connected properly. It basically looks down, with slight bit of bumper visible, then the towbar and area behind it.
Oh and I wanted to clean the plastic lens pieces for the plate lights, but I couldn't remove them, as they felt brittle and like they would split if I tried to remove them. I guess I'll have to find replacement ones and just crack the existing ones off.