rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

HI ALL

IM NEW HERE, HOWS YOU ALL DOING?
IM TRYING TO DOWNLOAD THE RAVE MANUAL BUT EVERY LINK I OPEN IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. IVE GOT TO CHANGE THE MAIN OIL SUMP GASKET WHICH I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO. ALSO WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST ENGINE SUPPORT BAR? ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.
MANY THANKS

Try https://rangerovers.pub/downloads/rave.zip or I have an iso image of the full P38/L322/Defender CD on my Google Drive here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzxqPPypF5J5b1ZlU3RpMmVwanc/view?usp=sharing&resourcekey=0-vHS47g5cRLxx8_RYv4IQ0g

Welcome to the forum.

What's your car? Petrol or diesel? What's an 'engine support bar'?

I did my sump gasket (4.0L petrol) just recently, as part of a bigger job. Done by itself it would be pretty straightforward. My previous experience was with a pressed steel sump on a diesel engine and by comparison, the V8 one was surprisingly heavy to get back into place while fishing about for the bolts.

I also found that two out of three of the studs in the front cover had come straight out, so needed to order some threaded bar to make replacements.

CHEERS LADS FOR THE REPLYS

MINE IS AN 4.4V8 PETROL L322 04 PLATE I SORT OFF HAVE AN IDEA HOW TO DO IT BUT JUST WANT TO CHECK. ENGINE SUPPORT BAR TO HOLD ENGINE IN PLACE TO DROP SUPFRAME CHEERS

Ah... that explains it.

I don't suppose there will be much difference in the engine itself, but I know zip all about the L322.

I've had two Classics in the past, and now my P38 but it's a 2001 vehicle and could well remain my most modern Land Rover! My only experience with subframes is on the back of the original Minis. Sorry I can't help any further.

The 4.4 V8 L322 uses a BMW double overhead cam engine so completely different. It has independent suspension rather than live axles too. As a BMW design it's far closer to the X5 than anything earlier, hence why I've always referred to the P38 as the last proper Range Rover.

They can also eat money far quicker than a P38 too as there are far less aftermarket parts.

The camshafts are weakest part of 4.4 ---- most post m51 BMW cams are a metal tube with the lobes heat shrink on ---- which means they can and do move --- writing off the engine that's cost cutting at its best

All the later ones have there weak spots, one reason why I might consider an early (pre-Ford) L322 but only as a second car to be used as a standby. My neighbour is workshop manager at a well known Land Rover overland preparation place but they also do normal servicing and repairs. I mentioned the 2.7 diesel fitted to the Sport and Disco 3 eating turbos and involving a body off job to replace them and he reckons the later 3.0 litre is no better but then added that it isn't as bad as the TDV8 as they break crankshafts......

Over here there's a rumor that the crankshaft failure happens quite often in the SDV6, too. At least unusually often ... but I must confess, the D4 with the 3 Liter engine drives great. I searched and did the transfer trip with a D4 for a friend last year and after 150 or 200 Km it threw a message: reduced engine power ... parked, let turbo cool down, switch on and off, message disappeared. They are like windows computer ;-)
Nothing comparable to our P38, I fully agree with Richard, the P38 and the D2 are the last "real" Land Rover cars ...

I use a discovery 1 300tdi manual as daily --- yet met a guy who got a 4.6 gems on springs and he getting rid of his TDI --- car makers use cheap items so you replace vehicle every year ---- that's why they all look the same for the woke phone zombie generation

I had a 8 year old 3.6 tdv8 (Ford) L322. In the 2 years I had it (25000 miles, i had to replace the auto box, entire engine, both turbos, radiator, intercooler, egrs, door seal, sat nav, tyres, brakes, suspension, all oils twice, (engine oil more)… the list goes on. Also depreciated by 50%!

That’s the last “new” Land Rover I shall ever buy!