rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse
Member
Joined:
Posts: 394

Can it be done? Do I need to remove the blower units first? The drivers side is flaoting around with no sealing foam left allowing all the blown airs to escape. There is not enough space to collapse it to get it out without dragging it past the sections it attaches to. Any new foam seals won't stand a chance of surviving the abuse. How is it done?

Member
Joined:
Posts: 46

New seals, gash thin foam rubber strips, hot air gun, BF&I and duct tape.

Fit seals. Fit ducting nicely in place on one end. Heat the ducting up and it becomes more pliable. Apply brute force and ignorance to get the other two ends of the ducting just butted against each other. Apply more BF&I to pull both ducts the same way to get the male end just starting inside the female end and then wiggle whilst pushing the ducts in line ‘folding’ the male into the female. Push gash foam strip into gap with small screwdriver or similar. Wide duct tape around joint. Jobs a good ‘un . . . . . or as good as it’s going to get!

Just Heat and BF&I to remove.

Member
Joined:
Posts: 394

Well I have BF&I in abundance so I shall give it a shot, cheers.

Member
Joined:
Posts: 46

Controlled aggression is the key . . . . . and a bit of patience. The ducting is made of ‘tough stuff’ so can take a fair bit of ‘abuse’. I find it’s not so much the ducting that can be damaged, more the surrounding cable looms, switches and connectors so some ‘care’ is also required.

PS: I note RAVE says some ‘helpful’ things like ‘remove ducting’ and ‘replace ducting’ or words to that effect, as though it is just a straightforward simple task!!!

PPS: I also have a reel of ‘bog standard’ window/door self adhesive seal that I use instead of trying to track down pukka replacement seals. It’s pretty narrow so three layers side by side usually fits in the female part of the ducting - make sure the ducting surface is stringently clean before application and it sticks pretty good.

Member
avatar
Joined:
Posts: 6357

When I had the dash out on a car last week, I used this https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-black-self-adhesive-draught-seal-l-6m-w-9mm-t-5mm/1802898_BQ.prd in the duct joints when it went back together. Could have done with it being a bit wider but it did the job nicely.

Member
Joined:
Posts: 46

Yes, that’s the sort of stuff. Mine is narrower than that and white . . . . . . . but I’m hoping nobody will notice on the inside of the ducts ;-)

Member
Joined:
Posts: 394

Thanks for the continued replies.

I have used self adhesive foam strip that I think I bought from a hardware shop a while ago. I was concerned that this would be destroyed whilst trying to refit the duct.
I did slightly trim the plastic on the end of the ducting to remove some of the dog-eared damage from removal.
I then attached the foam strip to the duct and taped over it with some extra wide (2") insulation tap that folded around the outside of the lip. The hope being this would help prevent it being torn out of place on fitment.

It seems to have worked.

Member
Joined:
Posts: 46

If you still have all the skin in place on all your knuckles as well then you can consider it a great result ;-)

Member
Joined:
Posts: 394

Yep, skin intact. :)

Member
Joined:
Posts: 243

It's a tw*t of a job. But BF&I every time. The razor sharp steel is more of the problem...

Member
avatar
Joined:
Posts: 6357

Even the plastic can bite too.....