rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I'm looking for suggestions on what to use to stick my a-post door seal back on. The seal on the drivers side has come away from the a-post/roof pillar join. The seal seems to have shrunk so it no longer matches the shape, unfortunately they are no longer available. It's number 3 in the below diagram / ALR6938

ALR6938

I bought some Evo Stik Impact Adhesive today but it didn't seem very sticky. It barely held up the roof section never mind the the bit that needs to stretch round to the a-pillar.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

if you are referencing the strip between the two doors you have to use the same stuff they use for wind shields. it's a 3m product in Australia , i think it's called bonding prepping fluid. it comes in a stick like a small pencil with a glass tube inside that you break and wipe the area that you want it to stick to . the same stuff thats used for wrapping cars in that vinyl sheet .
PS make sure its in the right place when you apply the strip as it will not come off once it touches it . there is enough in the tube to do all 4 doors if you wanted to put the little wind Shields on your car. just an FYI

I do know that the rear door main seal, around the window, that starts to bubble up under the rubber is still available. I bought two for the rear doors on my car last summer. The seals had started to bubble where the enclosed metal frame inside had obviously gone rusty. They are a little bit awkward to replace, I had to take off the door inner panels. And the seals need firm stretching into the window door frame to correctly fit into both top corners.

I haven't had anny issues with the front doors. But I did fit a new tailgate seal the year before last, and I used black RTV sealant squidged down the "V" gap of the seal where it is mounted to the metal bodywork, to prevent water getting around the seal. I have had no water ingress since however heavy the rain has been.

Pierre3.

RTV will probably be fine for something like the tailgate rubber that you may want to take off again. For bits that you want to stick and stay stuck, a PU adhesive like Tiger Seal is your best bet. Very similar to what they stick windscreens in with.

I’ve never had much success using adhesives as keeping the seal in the correct position whilst the adhesive cures has always proved tricky to impossible. I now use double sided tape but it has to be the 3M variety which does stick instantly and holds really well - have to spend a little time making sure both surfaces are absolutely clean though.

I found a recommendation online shortly after I posted this for "3M 08008 Black Super Weatherstrip Adhesive" which says "designed specifically to bond rubber gaskets and weatherstripping to metal" so I thought it was worth a try. I bought a tube from eBay which should last the rest of my life.

It works very well. Once it was tacky I shut the door with a towel in between the frame to add a bit more pressure and it was fully set when I came back in a few hours. It doesn't seem like it will come off in a hurry.