rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Does anyone know if it is possible to change any of the 3 fob codes on an unlocked Becm using a Nano?
Cheers
Tom

How do you get an unlocked BeCM?

Either by buying a brand new one or getting yours unlocked by someone with the right gear. Do you mean the key numbers, i.e. key 1, 2 3, etc, or the actual lockset bar code so you can use a key originally from a different car?

That would be the codes which are displayed under "Fobs" at the end of the "Alarm" Settings on Nano.
They are 2 and 3 number codes. I assume this is the number you get when you do the conversion of the bar codes.
I believe they can be re written, but do not know if this would be enough to, yes, use a fob from a different
car.......The 2000 HSK we just acquired has a non working fob and PO says it just suddenly stopped working.
I suspect, looking at the service records that it stopped when the Becm was replaced, and he was told it was
probably the fob.....He sent it to the Ebay bloke in the UK who said it was good, but no joy.
The garage he was using also replaced the ignition lock and provided a new valet key about 6 months prior to
the Becm replacement.
There was a line item on the bill for Turner engineering, so I suspect they were the jobber who provided the Becm.
I did check and found both the HSK and Borrego share fob code 96 for Fob 1.
Sadly, when i bought the Borrego, I was only able to get fob 3 from RR, so no joy there!

Yes, you can change the number that you get when you decode the lockset bar code. Your problem is going to be identifying what code the key is sending, unless it is the original key and you have the info from Land Rover. Was it Turner Engineering or Turner Diagnostics as they are two completely different companies. Turner Engineering supply top hatted engines while Turner Diagnostics are another of those companies that claim to be the experts but there's been a couple of not very favourable reviews for them, including one person that went there in person.

What's an HSK?

The fob code stored in the becm is always for key #1. The logic then derives the codes for 2/3/4. So you cannot mix and match fobs from different locksets like you can on a D2.

I have the ability to read the fob code from any fob and thus determine the code for #1 in it's associated lockset, but I'd need the key to do so.

Unfortunately so many people blindly swap becms etc to 'fix' an immobilisation or other issue without just sorting it properly, so it entirely possible as you say that it's down to a mismatch there that wasn't properly programmed.

Sloth wrote:

The fob code stored in the becm is always for key #1. The logic then derives the codes for 2/3/4. So you cannot mix and match fobs from different locksets like you can on a D2.

I have the ability to read the fob code from any fob and thus determine the code for #1 in it's associated lockset, but I'd need the key to do so.

How do you read the codes? Is it a widely available device? I have one probably original key & a genuine key 4 that I bought last year from a Land Rover main agent.

Thanks, Sloth!
So if, I have this straight, The first fob code input will generate the next 3?
There are 4 possible fobs that were at one time available here for NAS spec. (Not anymore though.)
I have used the seat and mirror memory function to confirm that I have 2 "Fob 3" keys for Bolt.
As there was no response from the seats upon a long press of the unlock button I will surmise I have indeed
got 2 Fob 3 keys. (Possibly one is fob 4....Gotta find my receipt) I did program the seats into Becm memory first.
Would the code I read as Fob 3 in Bolt's Becm be what I would input into the HSK Becm in position 1 to
enable me to use one of my 2 known good fobs for the HSK?

In any event, I do have the fob with key for the HSK as well as 2 other functional fobs I could send you to be read.
Please advise via PM what you will want for this service?
It would be nice to get the HSK fob working again, as well as knowing the codes of the other fobs.

Gilbert: It was indeed Turner Diagnostics.............

Cheers,
Tom

Yes, that is right - code number 1 generates the other 3 internally.

Hopefully you don't have two #3s for one car or want to use them both, as one would quickly get the other out of sync unfortunately.

I'd have to check again as its been a while, I can't remember if anything other than fob code #1 can be programmed in and expected to work. I have a feeling this might be a no, as the transmission sent from the fob would potentially not match up with what the BeCM expects for say, #3.

The way we can read fob codes is something we've done ourselves by reverse engineering the keys - it is not something off the shelf nor am I willing to divulge any specifics on how it is done, for hopefully obvious reasons. If someone wants to know their fob codes though I'm happy to read them, I'm not looking for anything for doing so - so long as postage is covered obviously. The only caveat with NAS fobs is I'd need a 315mhz receiver, and I don't think I have one in my stash.

At some point we were looking at producing replacement P38 keys or at least fobs. While we have prototyped them and we can do it, life has kind of gotten in the way. I'd like to look into this again soon. There is at least one other company that actually makes P38 replacement keys, although I have never had my hands on one to see what the quality is like etc. I'd like to think I could do it significantly cheaper too, but it would probably be low volume.

I'm also down to one working fob... so I should really get my arse in gear and at least make some.

OK,
I have 2 tasks.....
I will try inputting the fob code for #3 from Bolt into the Fob 1 position on the HSK.
Second, I will get a receiver from the breakers on my next visit, and send to you.
Depending upon the availability of P-38s at breakers, this could be a while.
As for the possibility of my having 2 Fob 3 keys? They have never gotten out of sync, even after the
spare being unused for months. This is what leads me to believe I may have a 3 and a 4.
I will report back on the experiment with the fobs I have.
Cheers!

Sloth, if you ever get to it I’ll certainly be interested in a fob. I’ve only ever had one and I don’t know if it’s a #1 or 2.

If you program both of the memory seat functions to 2 very different settings, lock the doors with the fob.
Unlock with a long press (2 seconds should do) whichever position the seats move to is the number of the Fob.
Only works for 1 and 2. I got zilch when I tried this, so infer that I have 3and 4
The manual is a bit vague about whether this works from a normal locking or only if super locked, so try both?.......

That’s great info. Thanks Tom.

Bolt wrote:

memory seat functions

Mine works from standard lock - and only on one of my keys, I have key 1 and key 3. Key 3 on mine actually moves stuff but puts it all in random positions.