rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I've pulled out the HEVAC control to remove the nasty sticky on wood trim from the front of it. When its out i want to see if i can fix the unresponsive buttons...

Is there a known fix? i was guessing i just pull it apart and try cleaning up the contacts?

I should probably have ordered a bulb kit while it was out 🤔

Which buttons? The rotary one responds to periodic cleaning up of the contacts, which get a bit tired of the constant rotations. I also find the wood trim often obstructs the temp buttons on mine

if you clean up the rotary button contacts, make sure you re grease the contacts with electrical grease or it will wear away faster than you think. just an FYI.

Just check the operation of the rubber covered momentary switches on the circuit board click crisply on/off and check the actual plastic buttons move freely in the front housing/panel. Don’t forget to check the bulbs whilst you are in there, much easier to replace than fiddling about afterwards. As for the rotary switch, just gently clean the tracks and adjust the wiper - the real secret is to just select Auto and set the temperatures and let the HEVAC do what it is designed to do - the rotary switch rarely needs touching then and wear isn’t a problem.

Thanks. I sanded the three metal fingers it looked a bit oxidised. Also rubbed the tracks with the sand paper but that didn't seem to do much.

Both the fan control, and the temp up/down switches seemed intermittent. I couldn't see anything wrong with the rubber membrane switches though, not sure how to proceed there.

I ordered a bulb kit with the replacement zebra strip, as while the display worked okay, I guess I should just sort it all while it's apart.

As for auto mode, I find different cars deal with that differently. In my A4 for instance full auto seems to make strange choices on where the air goes, but if you manually select say footwell and windscreen, the fan control remains on auto and you've only changed the direction.

I've not played with the range rover too much, but from a cursory look it seems if you adjust anything knocking it out of auto, the fan then ends up static. I'll experiment a little more with auto mode. However I do often find it will make decisions that are annoying. For example on a cold day the A4 will run the fan at a low speed until the engine warms up. But then it'll run the fan at full bore to get the cabin up to temperature which I find a bit too much.

You have full Auto, where it just gets on with it or, if you manually change anything, it goes into semi-Auto mode where it maintains the temperatures but whatever you poked to take it out of Auto is controlled by the buttons. It's all in the owners handbook.....

Ok so its similar to the Audi one then (not a huge surprise as they're both made by Valeo!)

I think the Audi version you can adjust the fan speed and it acts like an offset rather than becoming fully static, which is probably the main difference i'm noticing.

If you come out of auto then the fan shd revert to whatever speed you last selected manually.