rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I've started stripping the scrapyard V8 with a view to keeping stuff that might be handy and binning anything that isn't.

I've discovered both exhaust manifolds have a small Flexi joint under the heatshield, and on both manifolds they are distorted and split.

Is this a common problem? My car has what sounds like a manifold leak, and my plan had been to clean up the faces on these ones and swap them in when I do the heads...

Is it worth trying to repair them? Anyone just sleeved with solid pipe instead?

No-one seen this before?

I've heard of it but never seen it. I'm not sure why they are there as nothing is going to move, the Classic and all previous cars the used the same V8 had cast iron manifolds. I suppose they might be there to account for thermal expansion?

I had the problem (or half the problem) on my diesel, remember that they are double skinned so collapse may only be due to engine mount failure (or?), actual leakage in the case of the diesel is easy to see because of the soot .... on a V8 it may not be as obvious visually, but should be pretty easy to determine. The flex saves all the stress on the rest of the exhaust and a good flexi I would say is absolutely necessary.... V8's rotate quite a bit as I recall so I wouldn't be temtped to bypass it. .... just storing up trouble.

if i was desperate i would weld it up in a heart beat or re sleave it. which ever is easiest. the exhaust is not sold mounted so room for expansion. let us know how you go.