rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Further to my post in June, I found oil leaks at the swaged connections on both the engine oil cooler and gearbox cooler pipes, and decided to change the coolers and pipes along with the power steering pipes that were rusty. I also purchased a direnza alloy radiator and also a water pump and thermostat, I bought a new thermostat because the vehicle ran very cool according to the gauge and I presumed that the thermostat was stuck open, it was not. The new water pump has a plastic impeller like the old one but the old impeller has 10 blades whereas the new only has 7 and one side of them are open. In the past I’ve fitted a metal impeller water pump to a previous p38 but could not get one this time. I am thinking of fitting the old water pump back as I am not sure about the open sides on new impeller blades, is the pump with 10 blades an uprated one? If such a thing exists any thoughts?.

I'm afraid I can't help with the water pump, though I did manage to get a metal impeller type from Island 4x4 a couple of months ago.

Regarding the Direnza radiator, I fitted one over a year ago and posted my experiences in fitting it on my website:

www.Auto-TaT.co.uk

It's in the P38 section (funnily enough).

Thanks for the reply, no problem fitting direnza radiator the bolt holes at the btm lined up ok. Whilst fitting new pipes to oil coolers and power steering none of the pipes would fit to the pipe brackets so modifications had to be made, all the pipes were supposed to be oe but all back together now just to top up fluids tomorrow. In the end I fitted the new water pump because I could see grease had started to come from the bearing on the old one so was not a good idea to refit it. Noticed the pipes were off on the solenoid I think on the bulkhead that is to do with the egr valve not sure what them being of would do.

I'm afraid I can't help with the EGR system, mine is an earlier model and so doesn't have it (which makes access to the water pump and thermostat a fair bit easier).