rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse
Member
Joined:
Posts: 605

ABS and traction control lights are on with the associated messages coming up on the dash.

Nanocom says 0 volts on the right hand front sensor, 5 volts on the other three. As I recall it the Nanocom correctly identifies the right hand front sensor but mixes up some of the others.

Multimeter says 0.640 Meg Ohms impedance for right hand front sensor which is way too high.
Left hand front reads 1.125 K Ohms which is near enough book value so looks like my meter and technique are honest.

Obviously the sensor is toast but does the 0 volt reading from the Nanocom imply other faults?

The Britpart replacement, made by OEM, is around £120 from the usual suppliers. Some offer an Allmakes version for under £30. Given that its pretty easy to change a sensor is the cheapy worth the risk. The dead one was a Britpart installed maybe 5 years ago.

Looking round for prices the Island 4x4 site seems to be down at the moment.

Clive

Member
avatar
Joined:
Posts: 7136

Up to you. If I've needed an ABS sensor I've always gone to my local dismantler (Avenger 4x4) and got a second hand genuine Wabco. He charges me £20 a time. If the Britpart really is OEM, then you wont go far wrong but I know some people have found aftermarket ones to not last long.

Member
Joined:
Posts: 90

I got about 8 months out of one island 4x4 one of two fitted to the front axle. The other is at 15 months still good. I got a £14 one off ebay to replace the failed island one, still good. The original wabcos had to be destroyed unfortunately, the rear wabcos are still good but I don't know how old they are as I've only had the bus 15 months.

Member
avatar
Joined:
Posts: 7136

Chrisp38 wrote:

the rear wabcos are still good but I don't know how old they are

Probably the same age as the car.....

Member
Joined:
Posts: 90

Possibly. The rears came out real easy and had traces of lube on them, the fronts took me ages to get out with the hubs on the bench. The rear discs were like new too when I got her so I suspect a bit of work was carried out on the ass end, might have had new sensors just prior to being laid up 5 yrs before I rescued her. Owner had passed so I had no history and his daughter who sold it knew nothing either.
I did have the right rear wabco fail on me according to the nano not knowing at the time that rr is f left so it hadn't.
Got that little snippet off here!

Member
Joined:
Posts: 605

On further investigation there appear to be two types of sensor from Britpart.

Island list a plain Britpart branded sensor without the perforated metal sleeve for about £90. Appears to be the same as the ones I got last time.

Brtitcar and LRDirect show one branded Britpart OEM that appears to be identical to the official Land Rover part as it comes complete with metal sleeve and fitting grease at £150 / £134 respectively. Says 3 year warranty. Britcar will do the official Land Rover one for £198, erm no thanks.

Given these sensors age out rather than wear out I'm distrustful of used parts so I've ordered from LRDirect. Be interesting to see what actually turns up.

(Day 15 of the 'flu is no time to contemplate how some suppliers can do an uber cheap version when the ex factory cost is basically defined by a mechanical production process.)

Clive

Member
Joined:
Posts: 36

I fitted these on mine back in Dec 2021 when doing the ball joints. Been fine so far & £15 each..

eBay ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Fits Land Rover Range (1994-2002)

Member
Joined:
Posts: 1141

Pete12345 wrote:

I fitted these on mine back in Dec 2021 when doing the ball joints. Been fine so far & £15 each..

eBay ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Front Fits Land Rover Range (1994-2002)

I've used 2 of these sensors and one that came pre-fitted to a front wheel bearing on the Disco and all have been fine upto now, most recent one has been in just under a year, the other two have been in nearly 5 years now (the front ones).

None of mine failed in the way you describe though, they would intermittenly flag an ABS failure in the case of two of them. The other one in the failed wheel bearing was fine, but didn't want to come out of the housing so got replaced.

Member
Joined:
Posts: 605

All sorted now. Fitted and tested this afternoon. Naturally dinkle brain left the steering straight ahead rather than near full lock so visibility and working room was more restricted than it needed to be.

Well done LR Direct who got the sensor to me, along with a new serpentine belt, at around 11 am this morning after I ordered Sunday night.

With the sensor on the bench and the DVM hooked up manipulation of the wire gave a range of incorrect impedance readings from 20 KΩ to 800 MΩ suggesting a wiring or connector issue. Frustratingly cutting the wire a couple of inches from the connector gives a sensible resistance on the sensor side of 1.3 KΩ and proper 0 Ω between the naked wire and the connector sockets.

Maybe I'll splice some wire in to replace what I cut out and keep it as an emergency spare. But best guess as to fault is a slightly iffy crimp between one of the connector sockets and its wire so how much trust can be placed in such a repair is anyones guess. I've had a couple of intermittent ABS faults self correcting mid flight in the past which couls support the crimp issue diagnosis.

Clive