rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Aye I know about pasting images, couldn't be bothered by that stage. :)

Most of the welding on it looks fine, just a few bits which are a little unsightly. I don't really have time to return it now anyhow, so think I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and fit it.

Hopefully new reservoir arrives tomorrow then a quick trip to Gemm 4x4 for some more heater o-rings and exhaust to downpipe gaskets and I'll have everything I need to start this job again.

Offtopic, but I'm not going to hear the bloody end of it until I implement some sort of image uploader, am I?

gordonjcp wrote:

Offtopic, but I'm not going to hear the bloody end of it until I implement some sort of image uploader, am I?

Does it mean a lot more space needed to store everything? If so for me it is fine the way it is, there are several free hosts available.
I use ImgSafe, it is limited to jpeg, gif and png files up to 20MB each. Sometimes I miss pdf functionality, that can be an encouragement to set up a nas. (and watch my doorstep camera when on holiday!)

I wouldn't have thought the number of pictures involved would place much strain on disk space (or bandwidth), but if that does become a consideration, then it opens up an obvious reason for collecting donations.

The benefit of having them hosted here is that, in theory at least, people can disappear and the content doesn't vanish with them.

mace wrote:

The benefit of having them hosted here is that, in theory at least, people can disappear and the content doesn't vanish with them.

There you have a point Miah.

Does it mean a lot more space needed to store everything?

I've got about 2TB of disk on this server, although backing them up to Amazon S3 may incur costs of a couple of quid a month.

Todays arrivals:

Deep 26mm socket to remove the knackered knock sensor.
Replacement washer motors from Furness.
Replacement coolant reservoir (bearmach branded).

If the weather permits later this afternoon, I'll make a start on fitting the coolant bits'n'bobs.

Scores at half time. Radiator 4, me nil.

One of the bottom bolts is just spinning, and with the two small rads in place and the viscous fan and cowling in there still, removing it is proving difficult.

Might see if I can dremel the head off the bolt.

Cutting the heads off is your best bet. When I fitted mine, the bolt holes didn't line up unless I gave the plates either side a bit of grunt. I figured that fitting the bolts would most likely stress the bottom of the rad and try to pull the bottom plastic off so didn't fit them. With the two lugs at the bottom and the bits it slots into at the top, it's not going anywhere without the bolts.

Dremel has evened the score. Rad out.

What's the lower of the two small ones? Looks a bit wet at one end, although that could just be from coolant off the main rad.

Lower one is the gearbox cooler, upper one is the engine oil cooler. Follow the pipes to confirm though just in case........

Gearbox it is then, looking at the pipes.

Gearbox cooler from front - LH side
Gearbox cooler from back - LH side

Gearbox cooler leak? Yeah, just make sure there's enough gearbox oil in it. Don't worry about that for now, it's not getting any worse.

I'm not bothering about it; new rad is in and connected. Need to go to gemm tomorrow and get the o rings etc.

Hopefully the neoprene strip turns up tomorrow too then I can reseal the hevac and matrix before filling it up.

OK so hevac checked and reassembled. Definitely not leaking from the matrix itself so that's good.

However, with it filled back up with coolant, and the air bled out as best I can tell, taking it for a spirited test drive results in.. Air being heard in the matrix pipes again :(

Hard to tell if its pressurising or not.

Heater output is being odd too. Driver side slightly warmer than before, passenger side tepid at best, whilst at low fan speeds. Higher fan speeds and output from the vents is fairly pointless.

And of course, new o rings on the matrix and its still leaking ever so slightly, no change from pre rad change there.

All in all, meh. Don't know where to go with it now really.

Warm it up then use an IR thermometer to follow the coolant flow. When you hit a cold(er) spot, that's where the air is.
Keep on bleeding and burping the top hose. You'll get the air out in the end.
Re the heater- are both of your fans actually working?

I don't have an IR thermometer, but I reckon really the only hose where air can collect measurably is the engine to LPG reducer to heater matrix pipes. That's where I put the bleed nipple.

Don't quite get how the air is supposed to get out of the heater matrix, since the output hose immediately drops 4 inches after coming out of the bulkhead. I bled that by pulling the hose off at the top. Seemed to work, with a fair amount of idling and fast idling.

Was really only after I took it out on the road I started getting the noise from the matrix pipes again.

enter image description here
Does number 8 look steam cleaned to anyone else? :(

Assuming #8 is the right hand one in pic, and it's been in for the same time as the others, then yes, it does look suspiciously clean.