rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

While I am waiting for help with a snapped exhaust manifold stud, I have been going round attending to niggles that have !been there for a while. Having put new shocks on, I decided to tackle the NS bump stops, the front one is shredded and the rear one, although still reasonable otherwise, recently fell off and is now missing the lip that keeps it in place.
The lip on the new (Blue wrapper!) one refuses to go over the 'button' at the base of the housing. Any tips? Rave isn't much help, I have chipped of th rust and tried a little maintenance spray as lube, ... so far progress amounts to one bloody finger!

So found a bit of black water pipe about 30mm OD, cut to about 120mm. Too heavy wall really, but with the help of a blowtorch it was moulded into a trumpet shape at one end over the 'button'. Trimmed and greased it finally allowed the bump stop to be pushed into place, a pfaff to remove as it was a really tight fit down the midle but got there in the end. A thin wall St/St sleeve the right size would be better, but the water pipe was to hand, I was abit concerned about tearing the foam, but it seemed to put up with it.

All I did with mine was cut into old stops with a knife and then put grease in centre of new stops and pushed them on

Jug of really hot (near boiling) water. Immerse bump stop and soak for a couple of minutes. Meanwhile put a smear of rubber grease on the centre dowel of the mount. Retrieve (now much more pliable) bump stop from jug and fit into place. Also use this method to put recalcitrant exhaust rubbers on as well..

The hot water combined with my eventual solution of the pipe would I think be a good combination. The other two look a bit sad now by comparison , so i will probably try it out next time I have something to order up.

Note: use specific rubber grease or washing up liquid. Never use ordinary petroleum based grease as that ‘rots’ rubber.

The other method is to lower the suspension to access height, position the bump stop carefully twixt mount and axle then evacuate the suspension air completely preferably with suitable EAS software/Nanocom but can be done ‘brutally’ by pulling the air lines from the valve block. The bump stop will surrender and afix itself on the mount!