rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My mirror was movable with no resistance (the air flow around it while driving was enough to move it!) and it turned out to be snapped connecting arms that connect the mirror to the motor.

They're straight bits with a toothed edge and a ball joint on the end. The toothed bit runs along the motor and the ball joint connects to the mirror.

Replaced the offending parts from a spare mirror and all was well.

I wasn't able to find it.

I got lucky and Gilbertd had a spare mirror that he had cannibalised for something else to fix his own and it was just kicking around. He let me nab the tiny white bit I needed.

sunroof... from memory... take the motor off with the sunroof in the closed position, and run it as if you're moving the sunroof back. Wait until it stops. Then run it forwards as if you're closing it and wait until it stops again. That's then at the 'sunroof closed' position.

If it never stops, then chances are a microswitch (which is in the motor assembly - probably replaceable, but I've never looked that closely) might be faulty and stopping it from detecting that it's closed.. Again, from memory, there are 2 microswitches that trigger at 90degree intervals of the motor turning so the BECM can count how many revolutions (and thus how far open the sunroof is) - and which direction the sunroof has moved in (by which one has triggered first, and which one was second). If one of these fails, then it has no way of telling how far it's moved and in what direction.

it's work trying to reset the motor first though.

Also do the tilt action. Mine definitely needs both done before message disappears.

As Chris said. All the way back it stops about two inches short too! Then all the way closed again. Then tilt up and back down.

Don't forget, he said that the switchpack is buggered so he can't operate the sunroof with the motor, only the manual method with a big screwdriver through the interior light hole. When you use that it disengages the motor so it isn't possible to set it as the switches are in the motor which isn't turning. Quick fix to stop the sunroof open warning is to use a Nano to go into the BeCM settings and tell it that it doesn't have a sunroof. That assumes you've got a Nano of course......

It is a really simple job to change the mirror assembly. Even I managed it!! Two or three screws depending on the mirror. I got a complete mirror assembly from Emmotts of Colne for £35.

switch pack
No worries, got bored last night and pulled my switchpack apart and did the repair on it. It was full of 19 years of condensation and sweat so a quick clean later it almost worked. Then a quick Lube with some PX-8 of the Runners and it seems to be temperamental but working. Think I will keep my screw driver in the glovebox for when it snuffs it again and it starts to rain!

Turns out it was so jammed up it thought it was trapped so the anti-trap feature was just cutting the motor straight away. I don’t know how long the switch has been broken so it’s probbly the first time the sunroof has been operated in a while.

Just going to get a whole new second hand mirror, seems easier that anything else. Might have to wait for next month, the wife is not happy with the army of delivery drivers at the house delivering parts for the Car!
(https://photos.app.goo.gl/HPKeC3s65j9imogg2 "switch pack")

A tip for you .... when you're ready to order the new mirror, take the old one off and check the plug. There are 6 or 4 pin plugs (or is it 6 or 8?). Saves ordering the wrong one. Here is the link for Emmotts if you need it. I ordered my mirror at 3pm and it was with me the next day!

https://www.emmottsofcolne.co.uk/

If you have the memory seats you will also have the memory mirrors so they are the ones with a 13 way plug and have the auto dipping feature when you select reverse. If you don't have memory seats, then you don't have memory mirrors so they only have a 6 way plug.

There is also a version in the middle with 10 pins that are memory mirrors - the 12 pin version is memory but also have electrochromatic (self dimming) glass. Ie, the expensive £150 bits of glass.

The 6 pin are the non memory, non electrochromatic type.