rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Think bolt head size depends on whether they are hex or 12 point. Hex came out of mine but Britcar sent 12 point ones as factory replacements.

Given the lack of clearance between socket, extension bar and air line I'd not care to try undoing a possibly stubborn one simply by lifting the car via the EAS. No problem to get in there but its hard to see if everything is straight. Tried that way first on mine. Leant on the breaker bar hard and nothing seemed to want to move. Even with support under the extension I was less than confident that the socket wouldn't cam off the head when heaved mightily. Codged up airlines I could seriously do without.

My shockers were ageing but OK so job got bumped down the queue. By the time I got back to it Mr Lidl had electric rattle guns for £ very reasonable. Got one which pulled the bolts out just like that. So easy that I thought I'd missed the nut first time. After that experience I'd not dream of using a breaker bar, extension and socket.

Clive

Hi RedRaptor,

How did you replace the airlines? (Ok I just spotted the airline in the photo!) I bought some 6mm airline from a pneumatic suspension supplier but it's either 5.9mm or utter crap. I can't work out which because it leaks when I push fit it. So it's part of my ongoing suspension refresh when I get back from Africa - once I've sorted the bloody EAS hahahaa
cheers,
Hoppy

I litterally ran the new lines next to the old ones just hanging down by the chassis rail (LH rail). 3 lines up to the rear subframe then I cut one short enough for the LH rear bag (leave enough for a misjudgment!) then run the other 2 in the same way but then again loosely chuck them over to the other side, cut enough for the RH bag then run a line up the RH chassis rail loosely then leave it by the tank.

As long as your happy, change the tank line there and then, just watch out for the pressure and support the the chassis rail encase the car drops for what ever reason!

Then change the bags, but when you connect the airlines connect your new ones to the bags. You can then re pressurise the system and test with the new bags and lines.

Once your happy now comes the fun bit.... getting your hand, break it in 5 places and wedge it between the body and chassis rail and pull the old lines out. Mine were wrapped in plastic F wrap and then held in place with tie wraps. Don’t worry about being rough there old pipes. Then transfer the F wrap over to your new pipes that were dangling next to the old pipes and tie wrap in place.

My pipes were fine it turns out, just had 5 repair pieces on the front pipelines!

I used this stuff https://uk.rs-online.com/mobile/p/air-hose/4834958/

Works fine, zero leaks and it’s rated for 24Bar which is double what you need, so you don’t have to worry about blowing any lines! I didn’t bother with the 8mm lines as they looked fine.

Honestly it’s a rubbish job, takes ages and mine had 19 years of dirt and dust on the chassis rails so I would suggest getting a jet wash In There a day or so before doing the job! Worth it though as I know now I’ve got a 100% new rear system

Thanks for the info. I had fun swapping a rear airbag. I had a spare (as the car came with 2 rears and a front spare). I pressure tested (natch) the going to be new one - all ok. Fitted it, bubble tested it and no bubbles. Slowly it kept going down. I removed the airbag just before I was going to nuke the car from orbit and did another check on the airbag. The o-rings that were ok on the pre-fit test were now leaking ever so slightly. Luckily I have spare o rings now thanks to Lidl man aisle ;-)

I read on your other post that those Terrfirma shocks are bigger, do they work with standard airbags? If so then I'm going to order the same as you and do it all when I get back home.

Followed by the Wammers EAS check and test that someone linked to. I searched and never found that before - it's a godsend!

There’s two different types of the Terrafirma’s seems that the blue dust shield ones have the extra 2 inches and the black ones are just standard length. Island 4X4 is where I got mine from £24 a shock so a bargain really!

I think some people say that there firmer than the standard ones, but seems mine had no damping left in them at all anything is better!

I paid about the same for Boge OEM. Oddly, although both list the fronts, neither Island or LRDirect list the rears. If your old ones had no damping at all, then anything would be an improvement but the Terrafirma are supposed to live up to their name and be, errm, firmer.

Island4x4 told me that Boge no longer make the rears, they use Woodhead ones now

The dampers don't expand on their own unless they are gas filled :)
Most that are for p38 are not gas charged.