rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EHQJDhxZc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjYsY9ncFx4

Definitely worth trying before shelling out on a replacement.
Good luck

Last pre-engaged starter motor problem I got involved with turned out to be issues with the contacts inside the engagement solenoid which actually switch power to the starter motor. A fair few years back but contacts were well burnt as I recall it. We surmised that the engagement solenoid wasn't managing full travel so the connection was iffy and the contacts suffered. As with yours hitting it fixed it for a bit. No obvious causes so the motor was scrapped.

Horribly messy job cleaning out all the carbon dust. Don't do it bare handed or it will be a week before SWMBO lets you eat at the table again! First time through it will take lots longer than it ought if you intend to make a proper job with a full clean out and re-lubrication.

Clive.

If it's a solenoid contact problem, you will still hear the solenoid click, just the starter doesn't turn. If it does nothing at all it's likely to be brushes as the solenoid engages in series with the starter so it is turning slowly and slots into the ring gear easily. Brushes can be changed but, as Clive says, it's messy.

So sounds like there are 120 reasons to give it a good boogie out prior to buying a new one then! Glad there is a possible way forward prior to buying a new one. Plus there is not a better feeling than restoring somthing over buying a new one!

I’ve got a few in my garage, all in gwo, pm me your address I’ll pop one in the post
as long as I’ve got one spare I’m happy.

Sorry Chris only just read this! Would have saved me a Sunday cleaning the old one out. Turns out the combination of a leaking rocker cover gasket and 20 years of carbon build up equals cement!

Cleaned her all out with some contact cleaner on the motor and some brake clean on the front, re-lubed and stuck her back togeather.

Works like brand new lucky enough. Another free repair. I’ll stick my £120 in the bank for when somthing big packs up!

Brushes looked a bit worn tho so I just ordered a new brush assembly anyway, I’ll post a little how to when I get them and fit them.

The cars laid up atm anyway. So whipping the starter back out isn’t too much bother