rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.flemcodesign.gems.gemsutility

Claims to be able to reset adaptive values and sync the BeCM and ECM. Could be very useful if it works, almost worth buying an ELM327 plug in to try it. I know I can already do both those with the Nanocom but for anyone that can't stretch the funds that far it could come in very handy. If it does what it says it does anyway.

I have an ELM327 that I've used with my previous cars but I can't get it to connect to the P38.

Are the OBDII ports wired in a non-starters way? I remember having to rewire a standard OBDII cable/plug to work with the EAS Unlock software before.

The EAS uses pins on the OBD socket that aren't used on a standard OBD socket so you would need to rewire. But only for the EAS and a couple of other proprietary things, the engine side of things uses the standard pins.

Hmm, looks like I need to go play with it again then.

Think Miah had to do something to the plugs under the coolant header tank to get the engine to connect on his.

I think maybe there selling the Bluetooth adapter as they point to a certain one.

I've got an ELM327 plug in that works perfectly with a Torque Pro app on my phone with our Jaguar but when I plug it into the P38 I get a beeping dash and ABS faults.
Glad I purchased the Nanocom LOL !

On a lot of lesser vehicles only a few pins are present in the connector, which ones are there depends on the protocol used on that particular vehicle. The P38 uses the pins not needed by the OBD protocol for connection to the other subsystems. For example, Canbus uses pin 14 but on a P38 that is used by the SRS system as engine data is on pins 7 and 15 (although oddly the ABS system and HEVAC also use pins 7 and 15) . I suspect what is happening is that the ELM327 interface is checking all pins to detect the protocol and the other systems are getting offended by something probing it's ports (Ooh Err missus....).

rhyl46 wrote:

I've got an ELM327 plug in that works perfectly with a Torque Pro app on my phone with our Jaguar but when I plug it into the P38 I get a beeping dash and ABS faults.
Glad I purchased the Nanocom LOL !

That's more than I get!

When I plug mine in the lights on the ELM327 unit flash then I just get a static red light. My phone won't even see the bluetooth connection so I figure the car isn't powering the adaptor correctly.

It can be that some of the bluetooth adaptors don't support all the protocols required as well - I've had a few that won't work on certain Fords, due to them using SAE J1850 PWM.

I've even got 2 that look identical, but one of them works and the other doesn't on that car, but will work on others just not anything requiring that protocol. You can't even completely trust the description on some of them for what they support if its come off eBay as there tends to be a lot of copy/paste going on.

The ELM bluetooth units are unfortunately all but useless on P38's, other than the Thor petrol, where it will talk to the engine ECU and that's about it - maybe the gearbox ECU too... the rest are LR proprietary protocols.

Even on the Thor ECU, you can only read/clear fault codes and view live data - you can't do useful things like resetting the adaptive values though...

making that app pretty much useless then as it only works on GEMS but ELM327 dongles don't and the app won't work on a Thor but the ELM Bluetooth units will........

Hmmm... Maybe the GEMS ones are slightly compatible... can't say I've ever tried it though...

EDIT - it does say in the extended app description that it's compatible with US spec P38's...

Although it seems that it also works on Tasmanian spec ones https://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/327170-p38-high-idle.html and I would assume they are Oz spec and the same as UK. That's me asking the question in post 11, had to register a new name on there as they banned me under this one.......

Mine is a Thor and I can't get my ELM327 to work in any capacity.

Doesn't even power up the Bluetooth connectivity for my phone to see before opening the Torque app.