rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Sorry guys but this is my latest bit I'm getting to fix. I'm tackling the problems one problem at a time.

a) Previously the cog lights on the dash worked when changing hi - lo - now it doesn't - the bulb is good
b) the beeping does work well
c) When cold it will change hi to lo and back no problem - but no cogs on the dash. 3 beeps and it's changed over
d) I have refurbished and checked the ratio control motor. It works with a clunk and rocks the car when changing when cold, see b)

e) the transfer ECU has been swapped (Ebay) and exactly the same results as above - no change

EDIT: Does the micro switch inside the gear lever mechanism have anything to do with it? YES it does

If so can I check / test / replace it and if so what is the part number? I have looked on Albrit and my workshop manual but can't find the microswitch.

Any ideas please guys?

EDIT: I have also checked the PCB and there aren't any electrical burn smells or visible burn/scorch/damage to any components

I can make the car go high / low when it's cool by pressing the spring lever on the microswitch but once the temp gets up it then sticks again. There are no faults showing on the Nanocom.

I did pull off the gear box temp connectors near the transfer box motor and it clunked from low to high. It won't change any more until the car cools down again.

I can measure 11v on the 2 wires that go to the temp sensor.

I have spent the last 2 1/2 hours trying to understand the ETM's in Rave but I admit defeat as I have yellow and blue wires coming off the microswitch under the gear lever and on the drawings I can find in the ETM there aren't any blue & yellow wires.

Someone did mention the XYZ switch before but how can this be temp related?

Nowt to do with the XYZ switch, that deals with the gear position on the main gearbox, not the transfer box. You can use the Nanocom to check the light if you go into the BeCM section and then under utilities it allows you to switch on and off each dash light in turn. That will confirm that while the bulb may be good and test OK out of the dash, it may not be working in the dash (usual problem is a poor contact between the bulbholder and pcb). I've just looked at RAVE and can't see a temp sensor mentioned anywhere. There's an output speed sensor on the back of the transfer case though.

I couldn't find that option previously - I'll look again, thanks. I'll report back thanks Gilbertd

I must have crossed my eyes over that temp sensor haha

The dash light works. I didn't see the scroll bar the other day

But not when you try to change range? Does it only not work when it's hot so won't change range or not work at all? I know you've swapped the ECU but it does point to a problem there, or at least the wiring between it and the rest of the car.

It is an auto I assume as the wiring is a bit different on a manual.

The lights do not light up on the dash any more when I change from high to low and vice versa. I get the beeps. Once it's hot it doesn't change at all and no cog lights now.

Last year ( I was out of the country for a few months ) the cogs did light up when I changed from high to low & vice versa until it stopped changing over once it got hot. Then it just beeped constantly with the cogs lit.

Ok I'm getting somewhere. Still no dash cog lights on startup or when changing from high - low.

My drive way is on quite a slope.

When I change from high to low and the beeps don't stop I left the gear lever on the low side and rolled backwards slowly - CLUNK into low. Beeps stopped.
Drive up and down ok.
Change from low to high - beep beep beep beep beep beep. Roll backwards slowly again about 3 feet, CLUNK it's now in high, beeps stopped.

I repeated this 3 times and it works each time.

Found this on Ashcroft site. This is for me when the engine / oil is hot, cold it shifts over both ways ok.

Whats the easiest way to shift between high and low with an autobox ?

Engine running, put in drive and come off the pedals so the car is rolling at walking pace, move the gear shifter to Neutral and before you come to a standstill shift the hi/lo lever to high or low with a quick sharp push, once engaged move the gear shifter to Drive and continue.