rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

As for so many of us, my dashclock runs and stops running as it pleases.
When testing it on the bench with a spare battery for a week it did not stop running once but as soon connected in the dash it has it's own life.
The wiring is original (the T connector with purple and black wire) and whenever I put my probe on it there is 12 Volts on purple and zero resistance between black and body.
Can I run a plus directly from the fusebox and a ground directly to body or will our beloved watchdog BeCM raise objections?
Tony.

Tony <br>
The testing won't have checked the clock under actual installed conditions. It needs to be shaken around and have temp and humidity variations as the mech inside gets gummed up/ worn out and the vibes from the car can start/ stop it. You could wire it direct as you've suggested above for test purposes, but I bet it still gives problems. Worth a try though...

Thanks OB for your reply.
Of course it will be worn after 16 years but a new clock costs me an arm and a leg so I opened it up.
Inside is just a VDO/Kienzle clockwork, in bulk they cost next to nothing as I have read on MB, BMW and Porsche sites but it's impossible to order at some wholesale without being directed to LR.
Oh well, I'll give it a try and if no success it's not the end of the world and ask my wife what time it is...

Tony.

In my experience, trying to install a wife into the dashboard is a real pain, with some serious cutting to be done. All ways up, it gets messy. The only real advantage is having someone on the inside when it comes to heater o-rings, blend motors, etc. But even so...

I was going to try it but even using a small Filipina, there's not a lot of room in there. The other downside is that the Philippine watch only has hours, no in between bits, so not much use either. However it does have a handy predictive mode for the times of future occurrences which are; soon, later, after lunch and tomorrow,

No, I recommend sticking with the clock if you can.

GeorgeB wrote:

In my experience, trying to install a wife into the dashboard is a real pain, with some serious cutting to be done. All ways up, it gets messy. The only real advantage is having someone on the inside when it comes to heater o-rings, blend motors, etc. But even so...

I was going to try it but even using a small Filipina, there's not a lot of room in there. The other downside is that the Philippine watch only has hours, no in between bits, so not much use either. However it does have a handy predictive mode for the times of future occurrences which are; soon, later, after lunch and tomorrow,

No, I recommend sticking with the clock if you can.

George brilliant!
But you don't know mine, she keeps track of what I'm doing every minute of the day so she will be accurate in telling time...

Not sure about you guys, but I have enough irritating rattles and noises coming from behind bits of trim...