rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My 2000 4.6 has a 7 pin trailersocket, originally wired.

Since more and more trailers have a 13 pin plug I want to install a 13 pin socket next to the 7 pin, there is already a blind plastic cover in the bumper.

Is there a specific loom available to plug in or do I have to fabricate one myself?

Reg. Tony.

I made mine myself for my parent's car to tow a caravan that needed a fully wired 13 pin socket, two 12v feeds etc. I say made - I re-used the old 7 pin socket loom that plugs in behind the tail light. I then added the additional two 12v feeds with relays, grounds etc for the additional pins that caravans make use of.

If you're only needing the standard trailer lights, you can just re-wire the existing loom into a new socket. You might want to add a reverse light feed from the other side of the car as this is separate - if you have a trailer with reverse lights that is. The other pins for the 12v supplies can remain empty.

Hi Sloth,

Sorry to butt in here but I can't reach you via the mail here.

Do you still want to sell the GROM?

Please let me know.

Cheers.

Sorry Spiggy! I hadn't seen the PM, I'll reply now with my email address!

That's a good idea Sloth, just extend what I need.
In the seventies I had a Mercury full size stationwagon and a tandem axle caravan, in total a length of 13 metres on the road.

By that time there were no 13 pin sockets so I made 2x 7 pin to power the caravan, to reduce loss I ran a batterycable to the rear of the Merc and from there a bank of relays to feed the caravan.

Included a ground loop through the caravansocket that turned off the reverselights of the Merc when backing up. Ever reversed on a large French parking lot when that white wall of your caravan is perfectly lit?
In short, I know what you're saying and work on it.
Thanks.

They do converter cables for 7 to 13 pin, so you can leave the 7 pin sockets as is.

As Dave says, you can get an adapter. A lot of the trailers at the hire place I use have 13 pin plugs and, as my P38 only has a 7 pin socket, they just fit an adapter. Some thing like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-pin-to-13-pin-Plug-Adapter-Converter-Trailer-Caravan-Truck-Towbar-Socket-/221271392112?hash=item3384cd7f70:g:uOwAAOSw4iRWExFt

Yes Richard I know about the adapter.
Last week I hired a large trailer to pick up a dismantled shed for our son's backyard. That trailer had a 13 pin plug and the hiring company gave me the adapter with it.

On a sharp turn the trailerbeam hit the longer plug/adapter and as you can guess it knackered my socket, so that's why I asked the question.
Life isn't always easy but thank you for the idea.

Tony.