rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I am in the process of replacing a CV joint and I am struggling to get the thing apart (again). I need alternative suggestions on methods you have used.
I have done near side no problem and I am now on with the off side (after replacing the wheel bearings and top and bottom bushes).
I removed the half shaft and held it up in my hand and whacked CV joint with a heavy hammer. It fell apart no problem.
Fitted a new circlip to the shaft and, using the cable tie method to keep the circlip in place, tapped the new CV joint on. No problem, so far so good.
Replaced axle oil seal and fitted half shaft back. Went back to workshop and realised I had left the spacer off the shaft, bugger.
Now I can't get the new CV joint apart again. I tried whacking it with a brass hammer. I also have a home made puller which consists of a length of 5" diam pipe with an end plate. I clamped the shaft in a vice, put the pipe over the joint with the stub axle through the plate then tighten the nut. I am tightening it with a breaker bar and the shaft is pulling through the vice jaws. It is a considerable force. Any tips or suggestions? I have a spare half shaft and a new CV joint is on order just in case.

It will come off, sometimes it’s a tap, other times it’s a whack,, you are doing it right

Got the new CV joint and fitted it to my spare half shaft. It is now on the car. Vibration I have been chasing is still there though.
It appeared to be coming from the LHS of the car but I have now traced it down to the rear diff.
Happy days.