rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Looking at grabbing a second hand front diff, I'm a bit worried about buying the wrong one, some adverts just say front diff (2 pin). Others are saying 24 spline ! Anyone have any idea what I should be looking for,, thanks

IIRC when they went to 4 wheel traction control with the Bosch/ Thor they went to a 4 pin diff. However when Marty swapped his front diff, he found a 2 pin! Moral of story is- looking at what you've got is the only guarantee<br>
Needs to be the right 4 pin though as the fronts and backs are cut in opposite directions, just to be difficult. In theory if you put a rear into the front it'll whine more, although many people have!

Indeed, my 'original' front diff I pulled out was only 2 pin, and given the beating the hubs needed to get them apart I don't think they had been apart before.

I put a 4 pin, rear diff into my front axle (before there was the debate on the other forum about the gearing in fact being backwards cut). Granted, I don't do a lot of miles in it, but it doesn't seem to be affected too much so far and doesn't seem too noisy either.

All P38 diffs were 24 spline (talking about the half shafts in the axle). As far as I know, the reason some places put 24 spline is because the same diff is used in the back? axle of some Defenders, but not all of them. I think the original Defender diffs were 10spline - so the 24spline note is more geared (excuse the pun!) towards that side of the market... but all P38 differentials, front and rear were all 24 spline.

Thanks guys, will go ahead and order it, the whine is driving me nuts

Early coil sprung Classics were 10 spline. I know 'cos I broke one on my Hybrid :-)

My '93 Classic LSE had 10 spline diffs, or at least it did on the rear axle I don't think I ever took the front apart, even though by '93 it should have had 24 spline. I think at one stage they got whatever was laying around at the time......

All front diffs are 2 pin.
4pin on rear on later models with 4wheel tc.

tanis8472 wrote:

Partly incorrect, only the 4.6 V8 Petrol had the 4pin Diff on the rear, the 4.0 and 2.5 Diesel had 2 pin on the rear diff.

I have changed both Diff on my P38 4.6 V8 and yes rear one was 4 pin but I put a 2 pin in for the time to use the car.

Rcutler wrote:

tanis8472 wrote:

Partly incorrect, only the 4.6 V8 Petrol had the 4pin Diff on the rear, the 4.0 and 2.5 Diesel had 2 pin on the rear diff.

I have changed both Diff on my P38 4.6 V8 and yes rear one was 4 pin but I put a 2 pin in for the time to use the car.

Sorry ,yes I should have been more clear lol