rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hello folks,

When braking from anything over 40mph I am getting shimying through the steering wheel. This has only just started happening.
I willget underneath and check all thefront bushes tomorrow afternoon but just thought I'd mention it on here in case it was a known symptom of a particular failure. If it where a BMW E34 then it would be the upper track control arms.
It has also highlighted some play in the steering which I need to locate (steering column splines or steering box).

Thanks in advance,

Smiler.

A small amount of play in the steering is unlikely to be the splines, more likely the rubber joint in the lower column (between the two splined bits). Slop in the steering box is easy enough to sort, just give the adjuster a slight tweak. Mark the position with paint first as it will almost certainly move when you slacken off the lock nut (17mm and will probably need a couple of extensions and a universal joint on the socket to get on it, there's no way you'll be able to get enough grunt on it with a ring spanner). Shimmying when braking is usually worn discs.

Thanks for advice regarding the steering play.

The front discs were replaced about 10 months ago so I hope they aren't worn.

Didn't get chance to look yet as have been annoyingly busy all weekend sorting the house out.