rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My P38 Mud flaps have finally bitten the dust - I think the one broken off tonight beside the car looks as if some four legged attacker might have been at it and I don't mean the rats ! Anyway, although they are a bit of a stupid thing to have on a cross country vehicle they do look good on the P38 so am I going to be able get new ones at a reasonable price or is it a trip round the breakers ?

Available but around £40 each, breakers if you can find them......

Reasonable price probably not. From about £220 for a set of four genuine ones. Britpart a little cheaper I think. Do a search for STC8535 front pair, STC8536 rear single exhaust or STC7703 rear twin exhaust. Watch out for VAT include / not included prices and Britpart / Land Rover variants. LR Direct offer OEM too at in-between prices. Also check if the fixing kit is included.

Breakers aren't really worth it. Steel parts inside rust out so odds are anything used is coming towards the end of its natural life. It looks as if you can remove the remains of the old metalwork and re-work things but life is too short!

Yet another one of those do it once, do it right and forget about it things. Unless you get lucky.

Clive

Thanks Gilbert and Clive. Bit of a shock really ! The Army trained me to drive 4 wheel drives but the pension does not allow for running range rovers. Yes I can see that the metal fittings might be a problem. Ok, back to the un-smart rough road stuff .......

Yes - now know that the torn off and broken mud flap was done by one of my trusty dogs trying to get at rats in the valance that runs along the bottom of the car. Stopped her just in time - she would have had the whole plastic strip off ..........what a life - I can't take the stress ......

I bought a complete set for £134 delivered from LR Direct recently. Part numbers:

STC8535 1
CAT101160
CAT101170

I can't remember if they were for single or twin exhaust... I couldn't actually see a difference so just bought them - and mine has/should have a twin exhaust. They fit fine.

No point buying used as previously stated - quality rubber encapsulated steel that lasts just long enough past the warranty period...

Well spotted Sloth.

Where did you find the CAT numbers from as they don't come up on LRCat. I presume the CAT numbers are for the flaps alone. STC ones are supposed to be flaps and fitting kit with screws, inserts et al. Full kit makes sense on the front but rears are just simple self tappers and slide on sheet nuts.

To be fair mine were OEM and the steel inside the front ones lasted about 15 years. Rears still going strong.

Clive

Thanks all for pointing me in the right direction - mine would have lasted better except for rough country, dogs and rats !