rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse.
Member
avatar
Joined: Jan 05 2016
Posts: 948

The carpet got a going over with George, but the foam ideally needs a rinse out - coolant will pretty much never dry out fully otherwise as you've found.

What I've done with the ones I've sorted in the past is cut the foam out from underneath, soak it in soapy water and then squeeze as much out as I can before letting it air dry for as long as possible.

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1099

I think I'll be treating the foam to a bath today to try and rinse out as much of the coolant as possible... Thanks for doing the carpet with George - it looks a lot like new again! I might have to give it another going over as it still felt a bit greasy from coolant when I picked it up, but I might wait until the RR is back together and see if it's noticeable!

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2017
Posts: 557

Is George just a wet vac, or does it have a carpet cleaner head as well? As said, I've had it over a windscreen from a leaking heater matrix and its difficult to get it completely gone from glass, so can imagine carpet is much more of a pain

Member
Joined: Jul 12 2016
Posts: 922

I assumed George was another person that came to help!

Member
Joined: Jan 16 2017
Posts: 557

I think hes Henry's brother thats being referred to?
https://www.numatic.co.uk/product-view.aspx?id=28&r=4&sr=1

Member
avatar
Joined: Jan 05 2016
Posts: 948

George is indeed Henry's brother :) Spray extraction rather than just a wet vac (which would be Charles, another sibling).

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1099

WOW = has it really been 3 weeks since I last wrote anything in here?? I guess it must have been - work and trying to do some other things around the house has kept me busy!

So, after Nick had been up to give me a hand, I spent a bit of time getting all the ducting resealed with aluminium foil tape (time will tell seeing how this holds up vs the gaffer tape I used last time) and the dash back together. I then had a few other bits to do for other people, and a rear caliper to look at because it wasn't grabbing the disc properly and then headed away for work for a week.

Whilst away, I booked the MOT for Monday just gone, and figured that it will tell me a bit more if there are any issues...

It passed MOT, with 3 advisories - a rear hub oil seal, that I know about and have already replaced once, and both lower front shock mounts - again which I had noticed, but not in time to order shocks to do them pre-MOT.

So I'm happy that she passed - the emissions are pretty low aswell, which is great, and they tested it properly on LPG the first time. I got home and had a look under the bonnet and saw that the top hose had been leaking a bit on the metal spout (we had removed it to fill the coolant from the top of the engine) and upon a bit more inspection, found that the constant tension clamp was squeezable by hand. A couple of new Mikalor bolt clamps were ordered up (I measured the hose on the spot at 40mm and typically they did 37-40mm and 40-40mm sizes!) and I fitted one of the larger ones on Wednesday. Took it out to the supermarket and got back home to find drips on the ground... nope not from the AC drains, but coolant. WTF?!? still dripping off the steering damper too!

Opened the bonnet and found it hissing and squirting out from the bottom of the hose... grabbed to ratchet and cranked the clamp down as tight as it will go, and it stopped... finally...
Went out today and got back to find only a very slight weep down one side of the hose/spout - so I think I might look at swapping the clamp for the smaller one, just to be sure.

But overall, it's all back together, seems to be running OK, and I guess time will tell on the rest. I've ordered a new all singing/dancing navigation unit, so watch this space (well, probably the electrickery section) as I'm going somewhat all out - and will post up some pictures once it's done... will be at least a month or 2 I would imagine as I've got bits of work going on and the unit is coming from China, as it was about £50 cheaper than buying from their German office.

Fingers crossed no more niggly issues lurking under the bonnet though!

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1603

Great news! And I hope your foot is fixed too..

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1099

The foot is nearly healed now, and I've since put just under 70 miles on the RR. Took it on the dual carriageway up to 70mph the other evening, and whilst it was slightly nerve wracking - eye on the temp gauge the whole time, and left foot out of the way of potential 'splah zones', she seems to be running OK

I think it will be awhile before I'm ready to crack out on a long trip again - once bitten, twice shy and all that... but for the moment, seems to be OK... mpg is back into double figures aswell now which is good... on the way home from the MOT I saw 4.3mpg!

Works are underway on replacing the nav unit - this time with a bigger widescreen system, and some extra goodies... I might do a separate thread on that once the unit actually arrives from China...

Hope the eye is OK, Morat... I shudder just at the thought of anyone coming near my eye with a needle!

Member
Joined: Dec 30 2015
Posts: 1603

Yeah, the white is nearly white again!
You need to roll north up the M1 for a proper test of your Range Rover :)
There's beer up here, and an ever growing number of tools....
Good luck mate!