rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I had a fun couple of hours yesterday changing the water pump on my P38.
It started leaking after I flushed it last week, not surprising considering the shit that came out of the radiator when I first got it.
There was a coppery looking paste coming out. AFAIK thats a stop leak product.

enter image description here

You can see the shit in the gap for the o-ring.

Its also been replaced with a pump with a metal impeller.

How much was the water pump and where did you get it from? Only asking as I may be taking the air-con condensor out of my DSE soon and whilst I'm in there, id they aren't too pricey, I may do a bit of preventative maintenance and replace mine.

£33 ish from eurocarparts. Just wait for one of they discount codes on the site. There's normally at weekends.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Land+Rover_Range+Rover_2.5_1996/p/car-parts/cooling/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/water-pump-gasket/?201110161&1&306042a1307211f38defe936f5c16a12cd3f8cfb&000366

Not sure if link works but this should

Circoli Water PumpProduct Code: 201110161

looking at pump I think you copperier look might be copper coat (an anti seize product maybe)?

https://www.carbibles.com/best-radiator-stop-leak/

Scroll down to no 7

:(

K-Seal leaves tiny coppery coloured bits everywhere, dead giveaway as soon as you take the header tank cap off.

Gilbertd wrote:

K-Seal leaves tiny coppery coloured bits everywhere, dead giveaway as soon as you take the header tank cap off.

I thought k seal was that bright yellow stuff.
Anyhow, I think I've flushed most of it out now.
Doing thermostat on Friday. Should have done at same time as pump. :)

Ah, that stuff

Anyhow, they must have put a shed load in, the amount that came out of the radiator.

Thats the way some people tackle it - if one bottle didn't work, try a couple more just in case. I've never known the stuff to work personally.

I think the leaking water pump was probably caused by a wobbling fan and viscous coupling.

I changed it when I got it.

Thermostat done last Friday. So much easier when fan is off.

It's now sitting rock steady on the gauge.

tanis8472 wrote:

£33 ish from eurocarparts. Just wait for one of they discount codes on the site. There's normally at weekends.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Land+Rover_Range+Rover_2.5_1996/p/car-parts/cooling/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/water-pump-gasket/?201110161&1&306042a1307211f38defe936f5c16a12cd3f8cfb&000366

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Smiler wrote:

tanis8472 wrote:

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

You're welcome

I appear to have tempted fate, mine has developed a coolant leak. It is dripping from the front off-side corner of the engine around the air-con compressor so I am suspecting either the water pump or thermostat housinf gasket. I have an oil seep from the front somewhere anyway so I'm going to take her off the road for a couple of days, pull the radiator (air-con condensor is suspect anyway) and sort as much as I can.

Forgot to ask, did you require any special tools to remove the viscous coupling and fan? RAVE mentions special tools but are they strictly necessary?

Ha, I just replied to your other post LOL

I made a tool to hold the pulley still while using a 32mm spanner on the fan hex.

I just used some flat steel bar approx 12mm x 2-3mm with a hole drilled near the end big enough to fit one of the pulley bolts.
Put that on the pulley and heave with a spanner.

Ta, I shall make sure I am suitably equiped.

:)

:)