rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I don't remember how your noise started. I had a Scout a few decades back that had a lifter that would intermittently starve for oil, collapsing and giving the engine quite a knocking sound.

are you saying the same squeek is still their

I'd give up trying to find the source and run it until it goes bang or goes away.

just had a quick read though again as i thought that when you done the cam, there is no squeak there , have done lots of cam lifter replacements and never heard one squeak , have seen cams with no lobes on them and they do not squeak . your cam lifters where about average for a cam job (what you would expect, IMHO.)
have you inspected the flex plate as this could squeak under load, i have also heard worn PCV valves squeak (the valve that come out of the tappet cover) it's a one way valve that wears and rattles, eg squeak, don't give up nearly there, bit like my coil issue well it might be the coil and then again it might not be. find out next week when it arrives . hang in their .

It is the same squeak yeah - it was there immediately after doing the cam etc so I know it isn't that - but those lifters were shagged, the surface was breaking up on them, I could use some of them as bowls :)

The flex plate is 18 months old or so after it did break up, but I have had a look through the inspection port underneath and I can't see any cracks to the outside edge like last time. But without pulling the engine, that's all you can see on a Thor.

Will see on the weekend if any revelations crop up.

The fuelling on mine is all over the shop and it still sounds fine..

Does it matter whether it's in gear?

does the noise change in regards to whether you're in drive reverse neutral or park?

It will only do it under load - so in drive (or reverse), foot hard on the brakes to stop it moving - load up the gearbox etc and it will start to do it. I mean - it COULD be something in the gearbox or flex plate... but changing the MAF had an immediate stop on it that lasted a week or so. Then it started coming back, and is now back to the same state as before.

There is a lot of carbon build up on one of the oddly high compression pistons, but not on the surface of the other one... so that seems a bit inconclusive.

Just a thought, and I know you have had the engine to bits, but what are the engine mounts like? I have had the issue in the past, with an old series LR where a dodgy engine mount allowed enough flex under load for the fan to clip the fan shroud. New engine mounts, no more chirping under load.

try tapeing up the maff on both sides just to eliminate an air leak

Sounds to me like the Front pump in the Box..

Front pump in the box? Do you mean the oil pump in the gear box?

We have since replicated it in neutral too, but I think the oil pump is always circulating in the auto?

If we change the engine and it still does it... well I guess that will narrow it down :) But frankly by that point I won't even be mad... I'll know what it is at least!

Oil pump in the Autobox yes

Transmission pumps are driven directly from the engine through the torque converter. The torque converter is mechanically attached to the engine's crankshaft causing the pump to operate whenever the engine is running. that is the reason why a worn or faulty pump makes a whining noise in all gears, including neutral and "in some cases" park..

Looking forward to your progress with the M57 swap