rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Having got the Ascot sorted and road legal, one little thing that is a bit puzzling is the steering. Apart from the fact that it feels a bit more vague than mine at straight ahead, which is probably a combination of top and bottom ball joints and the pretty dodgy tyres that are on it, it's got a sort of moaning, groaning noise when turning from lock to lock. Power steering is working fine, it all feels smooth, power steering fluid is up to the max mark, it just makes a noise. Anyone got any ideas why?

The first red VSE I bought does this too.

When I got it there was a leak from one of the power steering pipe that runs under the radiator. I just assumed that it has been run low on fluid by the previous owner before I got it. You can hear the noise is in front of the driver so it must be the steering box.

The steering on mine is vague as well, it's been totally re-bushed but still isn't as tight as the others so am assuming it needs a steering box at some point.

I'm not sure if I want to take the risk on a refurbished box and certainly don't want to spend the money on a new one either.

David.

I had a classic that made a hissing sound on a tight lock. Never solved it. Tried a fluid change. It did it the whole time I owned it, but no other steering problems. It was quite loud. Sounded like a massive earth moving truck. Impressed passengers.

The steering box is adjustable, though I must admit I have not done it on my p38. Not needed to.
I have adjusted the steering box on my classic, however. I assume most older landrover models with recirculating ball steering work the same.

I put the front wheels up on axle stands, slackened off the locknut on the steering box, then screwed the central adjuster in until the backlash was taken out of the steering. Then retighten the locknut. Easy job, but don't overdo the tightening.

One of the jobs on the back burner on my p38 is to replace the steering hoses. There is always a slight weep and it looks a mess. I fancy stainless steel braided hoses if I can find the right fittings. Anyone done it?

Have you ruled out the steering damper? Or does the noise seem higher up?

I haven't but it shouldn't be too difficult to disconnect it to check, although it does sound to be coming from the steering box. I'm also considering changing the fluid which may flush out some dirt that could be in there. Just got to order some Dex 3 from ECP to do that.

My Defender has done this for the last 20yrs, and no issues. That doesn't help solve the issue, but might put your mind at rest. That said, if you crack it, then I'm all ears

It would appear that the prize goes to Brian. Disconnected one end of the steering damper, wound it lock to lock a couple of times and no noise. Sprayed the damper with white grease, worked it from end to end a few times, reconnected it, tried it again and still no noise. So to be absolutely sure I need to drive it a bit but it has at least reduced it.

Nice bit of luck there, Gilbert.

I wish mine was that simple. My grumble is right in front of the bulkhead so can only assume it's the box. Always nice with an easy fix though.

David.

Gilbertd wrote:

It would appear that the prize goes to Brian. Disconnected one end of the steering damper, wound it lock to lock a couple of times and no noise. Sprayed the damper with white grease, worked it from end to end a few times, reconnected it, tried it again and still no noise. So to be absolutely sure I need to drive it a bit but it has at least reduced it.

Sounds like a result if thats sorted it, I'd guess with it being sat for a while it might have needed a bit of help. Was thinking it was easy to rule out when I suggested it as its easy to get to.

I'd be surprised if that actually fixed it, but I hope so. Similar to Dave and Rob's experience, though not Land Rover, my Dodge Dakota power steering has made that sort of noise for quite a few years with no other consequences.

if the power steering pipe work is touching the body it can resonate thou the vehicle