rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Gents.

Just wondering if anyone has had success in replacing the motor brushes on the compressor..

I replaced my Compressor because the old one sounded weak and the output pressure didn't change that much even after a rebuild, and it started to stutter

enter image description here

Pulling it apart showed a housing full of carbon chunks and dust.

The brush on the left had seized in its housing which was odd, a good splash of leccy cleaner and a tap it popped out..

Anyone found replacements, and anyone found a way to hold them in while putting the motor back together?

H

Not done it on a p38, but there is a coolant pump that has similar issues on one of the other cars I have, usual way to fix brushes on that to reassemble is to tie them with cotton, then cut it off once you have that bit back together.

Usual source for brushes there is measure them and look on ebay. Lots of power tools use similar ones, angle grinders especially.

The seized brush is probably most of your weak problem though. Provided they have enough pressure left in the spring to hold on the contact ring those should still work, though cleaning all the loose dust out is obviously helpful

Toying with the idea of doing the same soon, got a few pump motors with variously either knackered brushes and/or dead cutouts, thought I'd start by putting together a good one and giving it a pump rebuild then look for brushes and cutouts to make a few spares. Got lazy last time and put a new pump in the '97 - it's a good idea to keep a working backup or two and at the moment they're sitting there all useless.

+1 on cotton, or a couple of very small croc clips.

Cheers Gents..

I'll give that a go