rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Both of my P38s have made a click/clunk/clack noise shortly after you start moving when reversing. Now though the noise occurs when you pull away, more often than not. More than anything its just annoying.

The LR TSB outlines resolving the problem by applying Loctite 648 to the splines in the diff end.

I left the car with the local indy to sort a few bits and see if they could find the cause, if not, look at the TSB and perhaps do that. They weren't too inclined and raised an interesting point... if the half shafts are loctited to into the splines, how do you remove the hub/axle to replace a wheel bearing?

If I remember right, the Loctite goes on the spline on the input flange not on the half shafts. My original one did the same and there seemed to be an awful lot of free movement on the input when the propshaft was off so I changed the diff. Improved it no end but there's still a little click there when drive is taken up in the opposite direction. With the number of joints in the drivetrain (transfer case chain, splined joints on both transfer case outputs, 4 propshaft UJs, a pair of diff input shaft splines and the halfshafts themselves, it;s a wonder there isn't more noise. There is on a Classic believe me.....

Re-reading the TSB, I think actually the loctite goes on the hub end of the shaft... so you can still remove the hub and half shaft, and then worry about separating the two away from the vehicle. Disco IIs apparently were all built this way.

http://www.landroversonly.com/forums/288410-post7.html

I'd just like to get rid of some of these noises. I wouldn't care if it were just when going between reverse/drive, but now its doing it when I pull away, its a bit more annoying.