rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hello All,
I have crawled under my P38A x 2 now and looking at the transmission bellhousing, I cannot see the two drain pipes. I''ve read that they look like cones, but cannot find them. I found two observation stoppers, one on either side of the bellhousing Would appreciate any direction.
Thanks,
Vancer

They are either side of the gearbox, the one on the left side of the car is almost directly above the gear change cable and XYZ switch and the one on the other side is in the same position. They might be what you have assumed are observation stoppers as I don't think there are any. If you give them a squeeze and you get dirty water running down your arm, you've found them.

Thanks Gilbertd,
I'll try that or post photos.
Vancer

Hello,
I crawled under the rig again and pulled the stoppers out. They are observation plugs. No drainage at all. Still cannot find the A/C drains.
Vancer

Another way is to remove the side panels of the console and you will see where the drains enter the cabin and the pipes connecting to the a/c.

You can remove the drains with care from inside the car.

Image borrowed from you-know-where:

enter image description here

They are above the gearbox on the underside of the transmission tunnel, one either side of the box.

Thanks Sloth, will give that a try as soon as practicable.
Vancer

If the vehicle has been off-roading or generally up and down muddy/dusty tracks a fair bit in its life, its possible they've been buried in dried on crap.

And cleaning them's a great way of filling your armpits with wet detritus!

Sloth wrote:

If the vehicle has been off-roading or generally up and down muddy/dusty tracks a fair bit in its life, its possible they've been buried in dried on crap.

I fear this has happened with mine. My passenger side footwell is completely sodden with clear water at the moment. Need to find a way to dry it out.

RutlandRover wrote:

My passenger side footwell is completely sodden with clear water at the moment. Need to find a way to dry it out.

It's not just the carpet, the rubber insulation undrneath almost does not dry. Try to get some (don't now the English for it) carpet that soaks oil, often used in garages. Place it under the carpet and it soaks most of the moisture.

You can get them from your local pet shop- puppy training pads!

Ferryman wrote:

RutlandRover wrote:

My passenger side footwell is completely sodden with clear water at the moment. Need to find a way to dry it out.>
It's not just the carpet, the rubber insulation undrneath almost does not dry. Try to get some (don't now the English for it) carpet that soaks oil, often used in garages. Place it under the carpet and it soaks most of the moisture.

I've had pollen filter/plenum leaks on the drivers side of both of mine, and on both I've cut the foam insulation under the carpet out completely to let it dry. Still haven't gotten around to putting it back in this one...

It's really dense foam - wasn't a chance it was going to try out in the car. Plus, cutting it out gives you a chance to soak it in soapy water etc to clean it up and get rid of any musty smell.

How much interior needs to come out to pull the carpet back far enough?

Not much - kick panel, the trim around the seat base, the sill plate, side of centre console, and the panel above the footwell. A few bits, but none are really difficult. Then you should be able to lift the carpet and manhandle it enough to get a stanley knife under to cut the foam.

On my original 96, the foam was bonded to the thick rubber / plastic type material, so I cut through that and removed it together. On my current one, the thick rubber/plastic bit seems to be bonded to the carpet and the foam is separate, so I just cut the foam out. In either case the carpet does not get cut and just folds back down to hide the missing underlay for the time being. When its dried out, it will sit in place quite nicely despite being cut.

Hello All,
Haven't had a chance to look for the drain plugs again.
As far as the soggy carpet, mine was like that before I replaced my blend motors and heater pipe gaskets (2002 P38A 4.6 HSE). I dried things as best I could and then put newspaper on the carpet and then the floor mat over the newspaper. It was amazing how it sucked the fluid out of the carpet. I kept changing the newspaper until it stayed dry. The smell of antifreeze went away too. I don't know about the foam below the carpet. Apparently mine was not soaked.
Vancer