rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Has anyone come up with a decent alternative source for these?

One of mine wasnt catching and failed the MOT, and ones missing its cover. I managed to find a replacement one in the scrappy for the MOT failure side, but it too has already been glued together, and its latching doesnt feel particularly positive. Of the three P38's the scrappy had, they were all in the same state, with cracked/broken/missing covers.

Hoping that some other car might be able to offer a compatible clip?

What I find strange when it comes to MOT for belts is that if you have a child seat fitted they will simply put unable to test. If anything it should be more important to test it working properly.

There are 3 on the bay at the moment. It's a shame you have to buy the complete receiver just for the cover. Usually if the mech isn't latching properly it's cos the internals are gummed up with crisps, haribos and all the rest of the crap that's been scattered around the back seat for 20 years! <br>
Unclipping the cover and cleaning the mech normally restores the function.

My drivers one seems to latch properly but a couple of times just recently it's come undone on it's own if I've leant forward to poke the satnav or get my fags off the top of the dash. I'll be going to the LRO show later today, but it seems they aren't all the same otherwise I would have had a look to see if I can pick up a couple.

Managed to find a guy on lr4x4 breaking a P38 so hopefully getting the three rear clips from him. I did find a few on ebay but wasnt paying £20 each for used ones that are just as likely to be on their last legs as the existing ones.

riddlemethis wrote:

What I find strange when it comes to MOT for belts is that if you have a child seat fitted they will simply put unable to test. If anything it should be more important to test it working properly.

Even more ludicrous, if i'd presented it for test with the rear bench folded down, they wouldnt have tested the rear belts at all!

My previous 4x4 got an advisory this year for having the rear seats folded (i'd been to the tip and hadnt put them back up), and when i queried it he said it was to cover himself as he isnt allowed to put the rear seats back up to test the belts, and must test as presented.

Gilbertd wrote:

My drivers one seems to latch properly but a couple of times just recently it's come undone on it's own if I've leant forward to poke the satnav or get my fags off the top of the dash. I'll be going to the LRO show later today, but it seems they aren't all the same otherwise I would have had a look to see if I can pick up a couple.

Mine comes unlatched when I'm driving too, and sometimes won't latch when I go to clip the buckle in - it's like the pin won't slide back to let the buckle into the hole.

Fortunately it's never done this on an MOT.