rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Well I am based in SW Wales,really to old to be playing around with Landrovers but I have owned various types and shapes since 1960 and drove them on the farm several years before that.
If only we could have a vehicle today as reliable and easy to maintain as the Series One,even a kid like me at the time could mend it when we did manage to break tsomething.
Currently I run a 1997 P38SE Read,A 1999 P38SE both 4L V8s and a Discovery TD5 which I think are rubbish.
Paul

C'mon, I never talked you into it, just suggested you'd find a much better class of person on here and most of us are based in the UK too. I had a TD5 Disco as a company car for a while and, while it wasn't great, it was a lot better than the 200TDi that it replaced.....

Welcome Paul.

Welcome Paul, P38's are a lovely car to drive.

Hi Paul welcome I got td5 commercials at work --- yep don't like them But got a discovery 1 300 TDI 7 seater and I love it's simplicity no ECUs to mess up electric stuff is lights wipers horn ----- classic insurance too But my vogue is better yet worth less ,!? Wired that

Symes wrote:

Hi Paul welcome I got td5 commercials at work --- yep don't like them But got a discovery 1 300 TDI 7 seater and I love it's simplicity no ECUs to mess up electric stuff is lights wipers horn ----- classic insurance too But my vogue is better yet worth less ,!? Wired that
The 300 was the last sensible vehicle LR made,no frills just a good work horse.
Paul

Symes wrote:

Have to be a dab hand with the Mig though ;)

Well my comment about being talked into joining this forum was a bit of fun,but joining was not,at last a group who have respect for each other,regardless of what is said.
Most of the LR forums seem to attract the moron factor who take pleasure in attacking anything they dont agree with.
Nice to meet such a nice crowd.
Paul

Absolutely, this forum was set up for refugees from RR.net but immediately started getting members from Landyzone too. Seems a lot of the 'One Life, Live It' Defender owners over there look down on the P38 (or anything else that isn't the same as what they own). I've owned a LWB Classic as well as 4 P38s and had a 200TDi Disco 1 as a work motor which was replaced with a TD5 Disco 2. The Classic would dissolve as I looked at it and with the first P38, I didn't trust it as far as I could throw it for the first couple of years of owning it. I don't judge anyone for their choice of vehicle, I mean, my sister drives a Nissan Leaf(!), I personally don't like diesels of any sort but others do so who am I to judge?

I am also a ... refugee from other forums, where the P38 is a lesser vehicle. Oh well, whatever ... inhere besides the cool vibe there is a tremendous wealth of specific knowledge. Great!

Welcome sarfarm!

It is strange that people are so in love with a vehicle that started life I think in 1948 and has not really changed much {Noisy,Rattly,Uncomfortable,unreliable,overpriced)
I started driving on the farm in a series 1 and at the tender age of 14 it was a great vehicle (1956) after that I have had just about every type of LR and several Range Rovers
and there is no comparison,the RR will go anywhere the LR will and looking back to the start of the RR,they used it to conquer the Darian Gap in S.America,dont remember them trying it with a LR.Go to France and see them using the P38 off road,then you realise it has something to do with macho man and his image.
I spent several years in Africa and LR were very few,only the Toyota Landcruiser could stand the pace.I bought one from a mine auction which had done 200000miles and driven by anybody on the mine.I had it for 3 years and never once replaced anything,thats why the freedom fighters like them they dont break.
During the 1970s I owned a garage and we rebuilt ex MOD LRs but never used one myself,the old Rangie was for me.
Paul

Bought a few ex-MoD series 3s when they got rid of them all and replaced them with Defenders. All 2.25 petrols, and all much the same as you described, noisy, slow, rattly, uncomfortable but I never drove one far enough to check the reliability due to them being noisy, slow, rattly, etc. I picked up our brand new works Disco 1 from the main dealers when it was supplied to us new in 1993. Got it back to the office and was asked what I thought, my comment at the time was that if I wanted to drive a truck I'd prefer to have a Scania.

Due to one of our works Discos getting rolled when being used off road, everyone that drove one got sent to Solihull for the off road course. This would have been when the P38 was still current and I asked one of the instructors which was the best off road expecting him to say the Defender but he didn't. He reckoned the best by far was the P38 on EAS. What I did learn on that course is that the driver will run out of bottle long before the car runs out of ability and you don't need to fit huge wheels and tyres and lift the suspension to make it capable of being used off road.

That Disco 1 lasted 10 years before it was pensioned off and went to auction where it was bought by my mate who lived up the side of a mountain in the south of France who kept it until a couple of years ago. It broke the gearbox first motion shaft and got a new gearbox under warranty but after that all it needed was routine servicing and a couple of propshaft UJs. I even lapped the Monaco Grand Prix circuit in it one day.....

sarfarm wrote:

It is strange that people are so in love with a vehicle that started life I think in 1948 and has not really changed much {Noisy,Rattly,Uncomfortable,unreliable,overpriced)
I started driving on the farm in a series 1 and at the tender age of 14 it was a great vehicle (1956) after that I have had just about every type of LR and several Range Rovers
and there is no comparison,the RR will go anywhere the LR will and looking back to the start of the RR,they used it to conquer the Darian Gap in S.America,dont remember them trying it with a LR.Go to France and see them using the P38 off road,then you realise it has something to do with macho man and his image.
I spent several years in Africa and LR were very few,only the Toyota Landcruiser could stand the pace.I bought one from a mine auction which had done 200000miles and driven by anybody on the mine.I had it for 3 years and never once replaced anything,thats why the freedom fighters like them they dont break.
During the 1970s I owned a garage and we rebuilt ex MOD LRs but never used one myself,the old Rangie was for me.
Paul

The RRC was actually crap at crossing the Darian Gap, the man in charge Major J. N. Blashford-Snell,noted that the Range Rover was useless, they were far too heavy to cope with the saturated ground, and the big v8 just dug them deeper into the ground..
They also went through 12 differential centre sections, he noted it as "useless" and had a Runner dispatched to Panama to pick up an old Series II for $100 it was delivered by helicopter to the middle of the Darian Gap and nicknamed "the pathfinder" without electrics and weight it performed effortlessly...

They would never let that out into the public though....

Nor would they mention the 100 or so Rapists and Murderers Blashers exchanged for a case of Whisky to help with the expedition... lol