OK so i found my dashboard message display was dead because all th bulbs had failed. So continuing the LEDification of my car i purchased a few of these in green
they are a direct physical replacement but when fitted as is the SMD emitter on the top of the plug in produces an overpowering amount of light, see below
So out came the dash and knowing i was going to be in trial and error mode is first set up the connections to the plug using heatshrink so as to keep the wires in place to allow for lots of shifting and changing, see here
the wiring is pin 12+ on pin 14 for the LCD backlights and negative to pins 20 and 7 with 12+ on pin 6 to light up the instruments
anyway at first i tried with teh top SMD emitter decapitated, you can use a stanley blade to cut of the top emitting layer whilst still leaving the electrical connection below, as per below
but that then leaves th opposite, a dark shadow where the emitter was once creating (too much) light. See below
i then knew i had to start bodging until i found a solution. i tried a variety of things, covering the top SMD with hot glue so as to create a diffuser lens, covering it with a semi opaque dark plastic, etc. long and short of it i found that what worked best for me was to glua snmall disc of white plastic cut from the side of a butter container.
and here trimmed to fit
which when fitted to all three positions gives a much better and more even distribution
still not ideal but acceptable.
This final pic shows the dash with LEDs replacing all the bulbs, much brighter than the OEM set up and the instruments remain dimmable.
I know that still looks a bit uneven light distribution but in real life its far more even tahn that, the mobile phone camera seems to enhace the difference in lighting in the LCD panel
Apologies again for the mess up wit the embedded photos, i still cant seem to get the site to work as it should, these are all uploaded to Onedrive which i understood worked.