rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's

Dear All,
Transfered from RR.net. I've searched but cannot find anything on this subject on this forum. I recently did a dashboard out HEVAC re-vamp. When the instrument cluster went back in the message center LCD is dead. Everything else works. looking through the RAVE wiring diagram it looks as if all the backlights in the cluster are powered from a single feed and return via connector C242. Ergo if some of the lights are working then there should be power to the message centre lights. If they all died at the same time i'm wondering if the PCB has failed / cracked somewhere. Anyone else had this issue? Anyone else had experience of re-soldering joints / cracked conductors on the PCB? is there a connector to the LCD similar to the HEVAC ribbon? Anyone got a clue? I've done some work re-soldering a known issue with dry joints in Skoda Fabia's but am grateful for any knowledge before i dismantle the entire cluster.

Is the LCD not displaying anything or is it just not illuminated? If it is the backlight bulbs, you should be able to see the display if you shine a bright torch across it. If it is lit with the ignition on, then the backlights are OK but it may not have a display. See the second pic in my post here https://rangerovers.pub/topic/2091-dashboard-cluster and you can see the ribbon cable that connects the LCD unit to the main pcb. Simple enough to get at, all you need do is pop the translucent back cover off.

Don't forget though, the backlights for the message centre come on with the ignition while the other illumination comes on with the sidelights. I seem to remember someone having a broken track in the feed to the backlights at some time in the distant past and the fix is fairly easy. I'll pull my spare out from under the bench and stare at it closely in case the fix jumps out at me.......

Thanks again, at least that was buried further in the archive. I'll check at the weekend.

Quick question, i know the Dashboard stores a mileage and can cause issues with synching with the BECM. from my reading of the RAVE electrical diagrams the lights are supplied via connector C242 and the feed and return do not connect to any other part of the binnacle cluster. So it will be OK to power up on those two pins and not risk screwing up the mileage in the memory? I'm aiming to work on the lights and test it on the bench.

One side of the three bulbs is connected directly to pins 14 and 4 (which are commoned on the pcb anyway) but that is a permanent supply, according to the ETM (E2 page 4) the other side of them is connected to the LCD display and, via a resistor, to pin 20 which connects to the HEVAC. I can't see putting power to pin 14 and grounding pin 20 doing any harm to anything else. HEVAC pins can tarnish and benefit from contact cleaner so it could be as simple as that. Mine would intermittently lose the ignition switched supply when I first got the car.