rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi All.. me again!

So I've now done all the core plugs etc and flx plate (as per my thread on the dark side), and also cleaned and refilled the cooling system. All is going well, and I bled the brakes today to stop the intermittent ABS ligt coming on. Seems to have worked so far after testing.

Next is the gearbox filter and fluid change. I have been soaking the transmission sump bolts for the last 2 days with squirts of release fluid (great stuff I gt from Lidl of all places). This stuff has helped me get subframe bolts out of my MGTF which normally snap, plus a holst of usually nightmare bolts. However I can only get 3 of the 6 transmission sump bolts to move. I don't want to force them too much, so I've been using my 1/4" socket set, so I can 'feel' things much better. 3 of the bolts undid after a quick 'crack', which I presume was the alloy/steel gunk in the little sump pegs loosening on the bolts. But 3 just wont budge! Not sure what I can safely do to get them to move?! I realised after one of the bolts loosened that they poke right through the transmission casing at the top, so I have also now soaked the top of them in the fluid, hoping that will penetrate into the top of the threads.

Anyone got any ideas? I've watched a few YouTube videos on the subject and they all show them (typically) just undoing! Of course the videos were American, where they don't need to put salt and other associated crap on their roads in Winter! All help appreciated, as I'd like to do as much preventative manitenance as possible on the old guy as he was my Dads, and I inherited him when he died.

In the last week or so I watched a video of a guy undoing seized wheel nuts by heating the nut with a lighter and holding a candle above it.

The heat caused the melted wax to land on the nut and the heat in the nut pulled the wax in to the threads - the nuts then undid very easily. I've yet to try it to see if it actually does work but might be worth a try - LINK

I have one of these in my toolbox that I got for removing the badly rusted and stuck bolts on the exhaust manifold heatshield on my Focus: LINK

This worked a treat for me.

I would be tempted to give it a tap with a technical adjuster, either socket or where the got through the box, the shock normally gets them going

Thanks - will try the suggestions