rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Feel bad about opening a topic for this, but there is nothing similar to piggyback to ... need some ideas here
I have a Witter flange tow bar, which is OK for me, but sometimes it would be more useful if I had a receiver/hitch the "square" type, like the US ones. I am planning to fit a motorcycle stand, would like a sturdier support for the bak-rak, and I am toying with the idea to use it to assist in my idea for a portable crane like those available for pick-ups.
What do you suggest I do? Modify the Witter somehow or ditch it for an US type - which unfortunately would not be approved/certified in EU, although here in Bulgaria this would not be an issue since they really do not look right now at these things, but abroad they do ...

I'd say modify the Witter, at least then if anyone does check it, they will see the E marking on it. If your welding is decent, they might not realise it hasn't always been like that.

Quote:
European type approval 94/20/EC
In the U.K, with effect from 1st August 1998 all Passenger Carrying Vehicles up to 3500kgs Gross Vehicle Weight (M1 Vehicles) can only be fitted with European Type Approved towbars if the vehicle has received European Whole Vehicle Type Approval.
Non M1 vehicles, light commercial vehicles and private imports from outside the EEC do not need Approved Towbars; however, most car and some Light Commercial Vehicles such as vans commonly use the Type Approved Towbar.

A couple of points since I have fitted a 2" receiver on mine.
My towbar is still the L/R original, type approved, factory towbar and the hitch receiver bit, which I fitted, is also a genuine L/R part.
I would argue I have only changed the hitch. The towbar is still the original. It was previously fitted with a swan neck and now has a removeable hitch

The EU regulations specifically say towbar and don't actually use the word hitch.

Another point is that we have also left the EU (thank god), which may or may not be relevant.

There is also no safety issue. The rating of all the parts I have used is clearly stamped on them. The removeable hitch insert with the ball on is US made and I have used a UK 50mm ball, all with a high load rating.

The issue is one of terminology I think.

Well, here on the continent we are not so well verse in the ... intricacies of the English language. Rest assured, if you want to start up a conversation with a hot-tempered Hungarian or Greek* policeman on the difference between a "bar" and a "hitch" you will be in for a very entertaining event :-)

I guess I will look carefully at the Witter and see how to weld some sort of bracketry that looks OEM.

• two of my neighbouring countries where they do stick to homologation and they ... love vehicles that have something they can make a day out of ...

If you can get what you want by just bolting onto the provided flange you should be ok?. At least you can remove it and revert it back to how it was before then?

I take your point Leolito. Gendarmes are worst imho.
Here are a couple pictures to show how the factory receiver fits if you decide to fit one. It is a straight swap for the swan neck.

enter image description here

enter image description here