rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Since getting my 2.5 DSE Auto about 5 weeks ago I've been aware that the ankle angle required to press the accelerator far down was uncomfortable and it seemed too far away. I looked at the position of the pedal, which was far lower (further away) than the brake pedal. I have attached a 3/4 inch thick rubber pad to the pedal and now find it perfectly comfortable. Is this an issue others have noticed? If so, are there better remedies? I understand that the pedals were arranged so that the car could be driven whilst wearing wellies.

Bend the pedal up?

Since posting this I've done a Google search and there have been posts elsewhere about the very long accelerator travel and the fact is that it must be pressed down quite a way before much occurs. It is understood that this allows for delicacy of control when the driver is being jostled about off-road. Certainly it is just the same on the Discovery 2, as I found when I drove my friend's TD5 Auto a few years ago. My pad on the pedal mod doesn't change that but it certainly gives a more comfortable position for my foot when wearing ordinary shoes.

FYI the accelerator pedal on my DSE sits about 1 1/2" lower than the brake pedal. I have never heard that about pedal travel being for off road use.

I changed the fuel mapping on mine early on and fitted another chip. The new chip is a lot more sensitive on the pedal than the factory chip, which is more leisurely and sedate. It takes off a lot quicker.

That's correct, or at least tallies with what I was told anyway. When I first got the P38 after driving a Classic, it felt gutless until I realised the pedal travel is almost twice as much as on the Classic so I was pressing it down the same amount but not opening the throttle as much. When I mentioned this in my local indy they said it was so you had more control when bouncing around over bumpy bits. I've never had a problem with the pedal too low but, after driving tking88's DSE, that needed far more pedal than my V8 anyway.

Never noticed that so I had to go and look!

My Bristol 603 is the same. Allegedly Anthony Crook, long time head honcho of Bristol cars, said that the accelerator pedal should be lower than the brake pedal at full depression to ensure that brake and accelerator cannot be pressed simultaneously. Clearly not a desirable under emergency braking when you have a honking great V8 shoving you along. Bristol footwells are quite cramped due to the engine sitting so far back so its quite feasible to imagine folks with larger feet being able to hit both. Same applies I suppose to driving a Range Rover in wellies.

Of course Mr Crook was well known for both holding strong opinions and complete indifference to the feelings of folk having different views. Hafta say there is a certain charm to the superficially illogical scattering of the 603 electrical controls with different shape knobs so you know by feel which one you have grabbed. The P38 centre console windows, door et al switches look neat but I've been known to minor profanity on hitting the wrong one.

I had to do the same back then when I had a Wrangler, the pedals were ok if your were Quasimodo or his ilk, but quite unfit for mine - fairly normale - arrangement...
Had no issues with the P38 in this regard.