rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

The CVC has been for its first drive out of the garage and into the drive.

Engine running smoothly but there is something binding.

It feels like oval brake drums with an on/off feeling. I've slackened the hand brake right off thinking it might be that but there is no change.

I've looked at the propshaft couplings and they seem to be in line although I have replaced the rear pinion oil seal with a complete new flange so cannot line up marks on that.

I'm reluctant to drive it any faster as it doesn't feel right.

Gearbox and Transfer case were rebuilt by Hardy Engineering.

If you jack a front and a rear wheel up so they are both clear of the ground, with the gearbox in Neutral you should be able to spin the wheels. That will show you if it is the parking brake and maybe highlight anything else. Propshaft UJs shouldn't line up, they should be offset. Workshop manual for the Classic shows it but P38 doesn't as normally there is one spline missing on the sliding joint so it can only be assembled correctly. However, as it is a CVC it may be that they used earlier props.

enter image description here

That's very useful. Thanks Richard.

if you have separated the slip joint on the prop shaft there should be a punch mark on the actual spline and the inner for you to alien for reassembly
look at the outer ring and the end off the shaft

Thanks Mad-as.

It will only assemble one way. However with the propshat disconnected and both front wheels off the ground A wheel will rotate nearly one full turn and then goes stiff and after really pulling the wheel round it eases up and then another notchy patch and then a full turn again.
I haven't touched the diffs at all.

The answer!!

Just before I decided that it must be the diff I tried the LH road wheel which was fine and then went back to the RH road wheel and just happened to see a balance weight dragged across the inside face of the wheel where it had caught on the caliper!

Sounds more like a binding brake then. Can't see it being anything in the diff and that's the only other thing involved if you've disconnected the propshaft.

Just one of the stick on balance weights. The wheels were balanced without being put back on the car so only found out now.

Hopefully all the other seemingly complicated problems will turn out to be simple. Definitely getting there now, it's about time we saw some more pictures.