rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

I recently read that the RAC (UK) has introduced a new car insurance based on a simple cost per mile. I thought that is a good idea, so I checked into it.

With the covid lockdowns I am not doing the mileage and I also sorned the p38 for 5 months earlier this year.
Their scheme involves putting a sensor in the windscreen and there is also a requirement to carry a mobile phone with location data turned on.
After filling out page after page after page of questions it eventually said not for drivers over 65 and also not for cars over 15 years old.
There must be a fixed element as how else would it cover fire and theft for zero mileage? I didn't get that far with the quote.

Typically dave3d these types of policies have a fixed minimum/'set up' fee of about £200, and then 4p/Mile

Not for real ££££ classics either - lots of better normal/classic insurance deals for our p38 available anyway.

As far as I can tell these policies are mainly aimed at young/very low mileage drivers (?)

davew wrote:

Typically dave3d these types of policies have a fixed minimum/'set up' fee of about £200, and then 4p/Mile

Not for real ££££ classics either - lots of better normal/classic insurance deals for our p38 available anyway.

As far as I can tell these policies are mainly aimed at young/very low mileage drivers (?)

Definitely aimed at those sort of drivers to bring the cost down. Plenty of blackbox policies around (one of my neighbours had a policy like this with LV - self installed sensor that plugged into the lighter socket and requirement for mobile data availability).

I don't think it was particually cheap either, considering he was driving a Corsa at the time and was over 50, I think it still cost him more than my business use insurance for 10k miles on the Disco at the time.