rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Used the Rangie first time for several days yesterday.

Strangely, after about 3-4 miles, dash bonged and it displayed, “overheating gearbox, consult handbook “.

It can’t be overheating in this weather after a few miles.

For the rest of the journey it bonged and displayed about every 10 minutes.

Any idea?

Loose connector on the temperature sensor. I had similar with a transfer box overheat message and that was a loose spade connector. Gave it a squeeze with a pair of pliers and never see it since.

Sensor is the one with a pair of blue wires attached to the side of the transmission cooler down next to the LH headlight (or it is on a V8 anyway).

Thanks for that.

I thought it may be a dodgy sensor! I will have a look later.

The location advise is very useful!

Its most likely the sensor itself - they are a common failure. It is a simple thermal switch. The connector is unlikely to have come loose as its one of the standard econoseal sealed types used throughout.

Its on the side of the cooler as Gilbert says - it is the same on a diesel, though the cooler is obviously in front of the left wheel behind the bumper.

If you unplug the sensor, the message will pop up permanently. Shorting the two wires to the sensor together will clear it - whether you leave that as a permanent fix or temporary is up to you.

Just seen the above reply!

I have just disconnected the connector, gave it a squirt of contact cleaner and all the same.

Looks like I'll order a sensor.......cheers.