rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

This week we have a burnt oil smell after a few miles of driving. I've not long rebuilt most of the top end, which involved sump and oil pump gaskets so surprised if leaking from there.

Tiny droplet of oil on the drive after 24h, black centre, clear once it's spread out. Quite odd, i've done all the oils in the last 6 months, all are clean when dipped.

Got under it today, and noticed a droplet of red oil on the transfer box flange directly above the tee piece of the exhaust that goes under the rear of the front prop. It's dropping occasionally on the exhaust, burning off, leaving soot then when the car is parked up, next drip drops on the soot, drips around the exhaust and onto the floor black!

Anyway, got to fix it i guess. Am i looking at gearbox out?

Cheers

From your description I can't quite work out where it is dripping from. The Tee in the exhaust is further back, nearer the front of the rear prop. Is it coming from the front of the transfer case/rear of the gearbox or is it from one of the output flanges? In any case it isn't a gearbox out job, transfer case off maybe but if from an output flange the seals can be changed with the T case in place.

Would red be transfer box or gearbox oil?

Transfer box should have ATF in it (Red)
Auto gearbox should be ATF (Red)
Manual gearbox should have gear oil (Not red, maybe brown/orange or green depending whats been used)

Don't know which you've got, but that should cover it? Assuming its filled up with the correct fluid of course!

It’s an auto. Right so could be transfer or auto box seal then!! Better try to find time to whip it off.

Richard, it’s the exhaust pipe from right bank as it moves left to join rest of exhaust.

I’d put a pic on but it’s hard on a phone on this forum.

RH side will most likely be the output shaft seal on the gearbox. Fairly easy to change with the transfer box off and that is a job that is either fairly straightforward or a real pain. Definitely a two man job though, it's heavy.