rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

My car has a sad cup holder like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/arUAAOSwzixc77dp/s-l1600.jpg

Its rubbish as its too shallow and cups fall out.

I came across this however (ignoring the ludicrous price):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294301903188?hash=item4485c2a954:g:P6kAAOSwwchhAlIq

Much deeper cup holes... Was this a later revision? Or is it some sort of aftermarket addition?

Deeper ones might be later as my 96 Ascot has the shallow ones the same as you have. I don't like them at all as they are in just the right place to cause you to sill drinks down the windows switchpack. My ex-plod doesn't have them at all so I got one of the ones that clips into the cubby above the radio. They are NLA and like hens teeth to find but Dave3d has 3d printed some and improved on the design slightly too.

I have done this one that clips on the dash:

p38 drinks holder

I have another one with slots in it. It takes a disposable coffee cup holder and the slots are for the handles (not yet on Thingiverse).
Still not entirely happy with the design. It works but the cups are at a slight angle. Should be horizontal imho.
Constructive comments welcome.

I did see on a social media site that some one was making a cup holder
it could possibly be someone on here?

Mine has that cupholder but in Lightstone. I thought it was factory (2001 Vogue). It works well although you do lose some depth from the centre cubby.

I have printed a couple of dave3d's ones, they work well. The only note is that you potentially have a lot of weight hanging on the little plastic ledge. But happy with the result.

Aragorn wrote:

My car has a sad cup holder like this:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/arUAAOSwzixc77dp/s-l1600.jpg

Its rubbish as its too shallow and cups fall out.

I came across this however (ignoring the ludicrous price):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/294301903188?hash=item4485c2a954:g:P6kAAOSwwchhAlIq

Much deeper cup holes... Was this a later revision? Or is it some sort of aftermarket addition?

The cup holder in the second link looks exactly like what I have in my 2001 Vogue so I'm sure it's a factory option. I am so pleased that I lucked out when I bought my P38 back in 2011. I knew nothing about P38s & looked at several. I eventually bought it because my ex-wife wanted one & liked the colour plus it was a good price at £5K with only 80K miles it looked immaculate (less so now) & everything worked properly except the heated seats (they still don't work). I don't think I even realised a Vogue was top of the range. I could just as easily have bought a lesser model & now be suffering cup holder envy.

Couple of cheaper ones on ebay with the deep cup holders, will buy one when i get paid i think.

Dave, do you have a Solidworks model for the clip on cup holder? Intrigued to try modifying that to fit my fat insulated bottle.

Cheers
Kev

Hi Kev / Aragorn,
yep, must get pretty thirsty in Mordor or is it Gondor.

I don't use Solidworks. I don't like paying for software. I used Openscad for the cup holder.
It is based on writing lines of code that build up mathematical shapes. I can find my way around it and I can cut and paste sections of code from other designs. It is also what is known as parametric. Each dimension is a variable or parameter and it is easy to change the value and scale up or down.
Let me know if you want it. Have you got a 3d printer?
I designed it to take a couple of small cans, I think 48mm diam. which is ok. As Marshall8hp pointed out it is still a bit of weight hanging off the dash. A fat water bottle might be too much. For open top cups it is also not so good as they are at an angle.

I've got a genuine LR one and that seems to cope with two 440ml cans in it as the weight is taken by the front of the cubby but the back of it is against the inside top of the hole. So the weight isn't taken by the dash other than in a downward direction as that bit acts as a pivot with the opposing force acting upwards at the back.

enter image description here

dave3d wrote:

Hi Kev / Aragorn,
yep, must get pretty thirsty in Mordor or is it Gondor.

I don't use Solidworks. I don't like paying for software. I used Openscad for the cup holder.
It is based on writing lines of code that build up mathematical shapes. I can find my way around it and I can cut and paste sections of code from other designs. It is also what is known as parametric. Each dimension is a variable or parameter and it is easy to change the value and scale up or down.
Let me know if you want it. Have you got a 3d printer?
I designed it to take a couple of small cans, I think 48mm diam. which is ok. As Marshall8hp pointed out it is still a bit of weight hanging off the dash. A fat water bottle might be too much. For open top cups it is also not so good as they are at an angle.

Thanks, yeah send over what you have and i'll have a look. not played with OpenSCAD before but can have a play around and see what its like. We have 3 or 4 3D printers at work, and I can usually get some personal time on them if its a quiet day. Same story with the CAD packages. Can flash up at lunch and sketch up a bracket or something. Not ideal for big projects ofcourse, but for tweaking or adjusting a design it can be handy.