rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi All,

I'm from Chelmsford Essex, Just purchased a 2002 4.3 Range Rover. I went over to Rangerovers.net and asked what people thought I should do in terms of preventative measures. Someone suggested the following:

Replace ALL the PCV system if it isnt in writing that it has been done, then ALL the fluids. Trans will thank you dearly if it has not been done recently. PCV will make your life happier. I also replaced ALL coolant and heater hoses when we got ours many moons ago. Been trouble free pretty much.

Can anyone recommend someone in Chelmsford or near who could do this work?

Glad to see you found your way here, pmt

Errm, you've either bought a very late 4.0 or 4.6 litre P38 like most of us on here have got or a very early 4.4 litre L322 cuz there's no such thing as a 4.3. What PCV system? There's the odd breather hose but that's about it, I suspect you've been getting replies from Americans on RR.net who take everything to the 'shop' to get it done and then get charged for work that not only hasn't been done but doesn't exist.

Chris is in Harlow and I'm sure he'd be able to do any work you need doing, I suspect he'd be quite interested in seeing a 4.3.too.

Sorry that was a typo. I've a 4.4 litre L322.

This is the PVC System,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs3Y2JKAM70

It's vital to sort

Sorry that was a typo. I've a 4.4 litre L322.

You might find http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/ helpful, they deal with L322 there. On here we mostly have the older P38s, but oh well, since yours is a really early 322 you can stay :-D

Aha, the BMW pressure valve, I take it you've got either rough idling , and, or oil leaks. If it's as a preventative measure then I'm impressed. It's something I can change if needed, along with a fluid change on the gearbox. Drop me a PM and I'll give you my number

The BMW 4.4 engine has a couple of wide diameter breather pipes that run across the top of the back of the engine. It seems common for these to perish, some people put the perishing down to the material being incompatible with ethanol that is in modern day petrol, others put perishing down to material not being compatible with oil/HC's that inevitably make there way into breather pipes. At the time of design there probably wasn't ethanol in petrol, I tend to agree with the ethanol idea because before ethanol was in petrol we LPG installers could use LPG pipe for petrol but modern petrol causes LPG pipe to similarly perish, similarly the BMW4.4 breather pipes didn't seem to have a problem before ethanol. Since the pipes feed into the back end of the inlet manifold, leaks in them amount to a vacuum leak. I've changed them on a number of L322's that I've converted to LPG - even if there isn't a leak to start with, moving perished pipes around during other work can cause them to break up. By perishing I mean the pipes tend to become gummy, almost like they're melting, become more flexible and easily tearable. There comes a point in the process where in a cross section of pipe it would be difficult to make out where the pipe starts and the gum/oil ends. The pipes are fairly easy for a home mechanic to change and, as I remember, cost a total of around £35 from BMW dealers who seem quite used to supplying these specific pipes (common problem).

Swapping tranny fluid is something I do early on all cars I buy, particularly in autos if it doesn't look or feel like I think it should, I'll also swap coolant, even brake fluid if that looks old. But there is the possibility of causing an old box to whine or affect the shift by swapping in new fluids even of the correct spec. And getting correct spec can involve a bit of research, especially on boxes that were supposedly filled for life.

Simon