rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Does anyone know roughly how much a 4.6 Thor weighs?

After being off the road for a few years I'm finally picking up a cheap replacement engine. I'm looking to get an engine stand to work on it and move it around with and want get one that's up to the job.

It's all alloy so not that heavy at all. I would suspect under 100kg so even a small Machine Mart one will do the job.

That's a lot lighter than I was expecting when looking at the weight capacities on offer!

Cheers :)

Two of us picked one up to move it, not easy but could be done.

Years ago I bought 2 x Rover V8's (old 3.5 motors), at that time I was fit and could carry one by myself, wouldn't be able to do it now lol.

According to wikipedia, it's 144-170kg depending on version.

I have the Draper 450kg stand, and it easily holds my 4.6

I bought a stand a while back from SGS. Rated at 680KGs with 5 wheels, it holds a spare diesel engine I have got and is very stable.
They were quite a bit cheaper than anyone else.

SGS is where I'm looking at getting the stand from. They only have the 450kg one at the moment. The 680kg says "Coming soon".

I think I'll get the 450kg I'll just get the 450kg one as I need it soon. The engine is arriving some time this week.

I have got two stands actually. A 450Kg Clarke one from Machine Mart and the SGS 680kg one. I think they are all made in China.
The 680kg stand is much stronger and has a central fifth wheel in the middle. Some of the cheap ones only have 3 wheels.
The diesel engine is supposedly 40 kgs heavier than the V8. I just know it is very heavy with all the ancilliaries bolted on it.
You can't lift a diesel engine off the floor. I had to borrow an engine lift off a friend to get it on the stand.
Give SGS a ring. I remember they were showing out of stock on their website but actually had a couple in stock.