rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi at all, one my P38 fellows has a strange problem. When he inserts the key in he ignition barrel the alarm sets of ... horn/indicator. Fob unlocks and locks without any issues. Anyone ever had this phenomena? Hints, where to start? Car is not with me at the moment ...
thanks
Kurt

When he unlocks with the fob, does it turn off the red alarm LED on top of the dash or does it continue flashing?

I´ve asked my friend. Everything works, as it should. Car unlocks with the fob, LED is off when unlocked and blinks when car is closed. Starts and drives normal, but with alarm. He has disconnected the horn etc.. As soon as he inserts the key the alarm gets off. Seems like the microswitch or the receiver in the ignition barrel. It is an early Thor from 99 V8.

An odd one. If the microswitch in the lock barrel has stuck, normally the dash will tell you the key is in even when it isn't when the door is opened. It will also cause a mislock beep when locking. I suppose it is possible that it has failed open circuit so it doesn't detect the key in the ignition and that could set the alarm off when the ignition is switched on, but not as soon as the key is put in the ignition (as it wouldn't know the key has been put in the ignition). The coil around the lock barrel is there to cause the fob to transmit the unlock code as soon as the key is put in the ignition so it resets the immobiliser if passive immobilisation is still enabled. As far as I know it is only the immobiliser that comes on with passive and not the alarm too. Also, if passive is still enabled and the coil has failed so the unlock code isn't being sent, you would get the Engine Disabled message on the dash.

Yes, it is very strange ... I guess, I have to check it myself with the car and dig deeper into the alarm system and its connection to ignition barrel. Will take a while until the car gets to me, it is in France at the moment ... sadly the fellow doesn't have any diagnostic equipment.