rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

Hi,

After calling around the usual suppliers, I cant locate a thor v8 throttle cable.

I can see the price at £120 though.....

I'm UK RHD. Does anyone know if the LHD is longer but compatible?

A helpful breaker has removed three for me, but they all have damage to the plastic end and the outer cover. Due to the damage in outer cover, the bowden cable is corroded/damaged so the cable snags when starting from slack (Jerky departure).

The broken plastic end may also be part of the snagging problem.

I'm used to having cables made/repaired, but the plastic spacer (pedal end) is not a common part the cable makers keep.

The cable spacer (pedal end) could be 3d printed.

Obviously I'm not the first person to need a throttle cable, or to be intimidated by a £120 price tag (I could buy a pair of gear cables for a Chinese car for less than that).

Before I start some over-complicated measuring/designing/printing - how far has anyone else got?

Many thanks

I wonder if it would need to be plastic? Maybe the shop that makes the cables can make something work?

I have a broken cable from a thor, am going to see if I can get one made.

Maybe you're right Harv, it looks like metal could be used instead of plastic for the firewall tube, perhaps wrap in amalgamating tape if the original rubber is not available

I have a related question for a friend, how do you actually extract the cable from the firewall? There is some grommet but it seem very stuck...

Short answer to extracting the cable from the firewall is with great difficulty. Took half a day to get mine out. Mostly because I didn't want to go all medieval on it. But needs must in the end.

I were getting one made I'd look into devising a separate bush to go through the firewall and rethinking how it attaches to the pedal so its all much easier to hook up when upside down in the footwell. In retrospect It might have been quicker to do a re-engineered one from scratch rather than fit the NOS one I had! But I still have all the gubbins to make cables from scratch.

If planning on getting one made possibly the folk who make cables for the classic motorcycle world might be able to help.

Clive

leolito wrote:

I have a related question for a friend, how do you actually extract the cable from the firewall? There is some grommet but it seem very stuck...

I tried to buy a used one. The breakers phoned me asking how to extract it. That failed.

Another breakers had one. I paid £50. They sent it with the plastic Bush snapped and a kinked inner. This would have helped someone who had a snapped cable.
But was no better than my current one (returned for refund).

I have used classic cable makers for another old (not classic) car. They preferred me to source a similar cable for modification.

It's going to be a while before I get round to looking at this - probably just going to keep pushing oil down the old cable and put up with it snagging