rangerovers.pub
The only place for a coil spring is up Zebedee's arse

A high speed lorry stole my drivers door mirror Wednesday night so I'm looking for a replacement in Alveston Red with an 8 pin plug. Which might take bit of finding.

It looks like new aftermarket mirrors in primer can be found for around £150, about 2 or 3 times decent used price, but if they are well made there is certain attraction in getting nice new operating gears and racks rather than hoping these fragile components aren't coming to the end of their lives in a used mirror. Has anyone ever seen one and have views on the quality. Changing the plug for my old one shouldn't be an issue if they aren't 8 pin.

Clive

8 pin? Memory mirrors have 10 pins, no memory only have 6. My observation is that 20 year old worn plastic gears are probably still stronger than brand new Chinese ones.....

Mine has 8 wires going into the socket and 8 coming out of the plug. Non memory with heated glass.

Also skeptical as to the strength of new Chinese gears and actuating racks compared to the originals.

Clive

The ETM is obviously wrong then. For both early and late it shows 6 wires to the non-memory mirrors, a pair for the heater and a pair each for the two motors. I wonder what the other two do?

No idea.

I have the usual yellow, red, grey, blue wires for the motors. A green and black pair for the heater. Another green and a blue with black trace doing ... . Something to do with the optional electro-chromatic glasses perhaps?

I guess I can get a 6 pin mirror and re-use my wiring. That will be second time round as I hauled the motor and adjuster link assemblies out of some NOS Arabic market unpainted mirrors years ago when the original mechanics broke. Still got everything left over in stock complete with a pair of nice tinted glasses with Arabic script on the bottom.

Looking around E-Bay there seem to be a few NOS mirror units, both single and pairs, floating around so I'll probably go that way and sort the case colours out later. Far as I can see the connector on my car wiring will match 10 pin and 12 pin mirrors, just not fully populated. Presumably the mirror itself doesn't care if the memory bits aren't connected.

Clive

The additional 2 wires would indeed be for automatic dimming mirrors.

I used a 2nd hand one and resprayed - worked out fine